England Civil Registration

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 5, 2002
      Hi,

      From Ancestry.com I have a number of people where I have the Record
      Type, District, Year, Quarter, Volume and Page#

      Can I get certificates through the LDS or do I hve to get them through
      the PRO. Or would a researcher be better to get me these certificates.

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Treasurer
      Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      Family Roots 2002: http://www.family-roots.ca
      Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

    • Ken Oram
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 5, 2002
        Hi peter,

        Some marriages can be had for the cost of $2.00 each US from the LDS. Check
        to see if the marriage is on the IGI and then ask at the FHC how to
        x-reference the film to obtain the info to send to Salt Lake

        Ken

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 5, 2002
          Some marriages can be had from Salt Lake

          Ken

          > Type, District, Year, Quarter, Volume and Page#
          >
          > Can I get certificates through the LDS or do I hve to get them through
          > the PRO. Or would a researcher be better to get me these certificates.
          >

          > Regards
          >
          > Gordon Lane
          > Treasurer
          > Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          > Family Roots 2002: http://www.family-roots.ca
          > Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com
          >

          > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          > http://www.family-roots.ca

        • Peter van Schaik
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 5, 2002

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 5, 2002
              At 10:14 PM 8/5/02 -0500, you wrote:
              >Hi peter,
              >
              >Some marriages can be had for the cost of $2.00 each US from the LDS. Check
              >to see if the marriage is on the IGI and then ask at the FHC how to
              >x-reference the film to obtain the info to send to Salt Lake
              >Ken

              Ken , you are right that some of the certificates appear on parish films.
              You would in principle be able to use the the volunteer photo copying
              service from Salt Lake.
              The cost would be indeed a lot lower. In matter of fact , Salt Lake will
              make 8 copies for the $2 US you mentioned.

              The problem lies with finding the event in the first place and then finding
              the proper reference to it and on what film. The volunteers in Salt Lake
              in general will not make a search for an event that you have no proper page
              or certificate number for.
              In short , I have giving up on obtaining certificates this way because of
              the time involved and the waiting time involved without knowing if you will
              even get the documents you are asking for.

              Groetjes from.......................Peter!!!!!!

              Docs4u Research.
              Genealogical research service for North Americans from the Netherlands,
              Belgium , Indonesia and the British Isles. Very reasonable rates.
              Mailto:docs4u@...

              Peter Jm van Schaik
              237 Mount Blakiston Road West , Lethbridge
              Alberta ,Canada
              postal code ; T1K 6M8
              Phone number 403 - 394 - 0063

            • Eileen McElroy
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 5, 2002
                At 10:16 PM 05/08/2002 -0600, you wrote:
                >In matter of fact , Salt Lake will make 8 copies for the $2 US you mentioned.

                In my last batch of copies received from the FHL in Salt Lake City, I
                received a notice stating that the price of copies was going up to $2.00
                EACH copy; minimum of $4.00 charge per request. This is for copies from
                census records, books, microfilm/fiche and patron submissions, which
                formerly cost 25 cents apiece with a minimum of $2.00 charge per request.

                Regards,
                Eileen

              • Peter van Schaik
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                  At 11:05 PM 8/5/02 -0600, you wrote:
                  >At 10:16 PM 05/08/2002 -0600, you wrote:
                  >>In matter of fact , Salt Lake will make 8 copies for the $2 US you mentioned.
                  >
                  >In my last batch of copies received from the FHL in Salt Lake City, I
                  >received a notice stating that the price of copies was going up to $2.00
                  >EACH copy; minimum of $4.00 charge per request. This is for copies from
                  >census records, books, microfilm/fiche and patron submissions, which
                  >formerly cost 25 cents apiece with a minimum of $2.00 charge per request.
                  >Regards,
                  >Eileen

                  Thanks Eileen , I didn't know that.

                  Groetjes from.......................Peter!!!!!!

                  Docs4u Research.
                  Genealogical research service for North Americans from the Netherlands,
                  Belgium , Indonesia and the British Isles. Very reasonable rates.
                  Mailto:docs4u@...

                  Peter Jm van Schaik
                  237 Mount Blakiston Road West , Lethbridge
                  Alberta ,Canada
                  postal code ; T1K 6M8
                  Phone number 403 - 394 - 0063

                • Carol Lylyk
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                    Hello,
                    I received a batch of photocopies from Salt Lake City a week ago which I had requested on form
                    #31768 and there was no mention of the cost going up but there is another form that you can order
                    copies of entries on the IGI that they charge 2.00 for. Also on that form (#31831) there was a
                    space where you could order copies of microfiche for .25 cents. Maybe that is what they have
                    changed. I sure hope so because I still have lots of copies I would like to order.

                    Carol Lylyk
                    Calgary, Alberta

                    > >At 10:16 PM 05/08/2002 -0600, you wrote:
                    > >>In matter of fact , Salt Lake will make 8 copies for the $2 US you mentioned.
                    > >
                    > >In my last batch of copies received from the FHL in Salt Lake City, I
                    > >received a notice stating that the price of copies was going up to $2.00
                    > >EACH copy; minimum of $4.00 charge per request. This is for copies from
                    > >census records, books, microfilm/fiche and patron submissions, which
                    > >formerly cost 25 cents apiece with a minimum of $2.00 charge per request.
                    > >Regards,
                    > >Eileen

                    ---

                  • Lillian D. Myers
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                      > >Some marriages can be had for the cost of $2.00 each US from the LDS.
                      Check
                      > >to see if the marriage is on the IGI and then ask at the FHC how to
                      > >x-reference the film to obtain the info to send to Salt Lake
                      > >Ken
                      >
                      > Ken , you are right that some of the certificates appear on parish films.
                      > You would in principle be able to use the the volunteer photo copying
                      > service from Salt Lake.
                      > The cost would be indeed a lot lower. In matter of fact , Salt Lake will
                      > make 8 copies for the $2 US you mentioned.
                      >
                      > The problem lies with finding the event in the first place and then
                      finding
                      > the proper reference to it and on what film. The volunteers in Salt Lake
                      > in general will not make a search for an event that you have no proper
                      page
                      > or certificate number for.
                      > In short , I have giving up on obtaining certificates this way because of
                      > the time involved and the waiting time involved without knowing if you
                      will
                      > even get the documents you are asking for.
                      >

                      > Groetjes from.......................Peter!!!!!!
                      >
                      > Docs4u Research.
                      > Genealogical research service for North Americans from the Netherlands,
                      > Belgium , Indonesia and the British Isles. Very reasonable
                      rates.
                      > Mailto:docs4u@...
                      >
                      > Peter Jm van Schaik
                      > 237 Mount Blakiston Road West , Lethbridge
                      > Alberta ,Canada
                      > postal code ; T1K 6M8
                      > Phone number 403 - 394 - 0063
                      >
                      > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                      > http://www.family-roots.ca

                    • Judi Lee
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                        It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to $2.00
                        each. The following official statement was printed in the last copy of the
                        Memorandum for Family History Centres.

                        ***Cost Increase for Photoduplication Requests
                        After a recent audit was completed in the Photoduplication Unit of the
                        Family History Library, a need was shown to increase the charge for copies
                        made for patrons. As part of the audit, a cost comparison was made to other
                        research facilities across the US that provide similar services. The $0.25
                        request has been in place since at least the early 1980s. The cost will now
                        be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where page
                        numbers are provided). There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request. The
                        charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00. Postage charges
                        are included in the price of the copy.

                        Judi Lee

                        > >At 10:16 PM 05/08/2002 -0600, you wrote:
                        > >>In matter of fact , Salt Lake will make 8 copies for the $2 US you
                        mentioned.

                        > >In my last batch of copies received from the FHL in Salt Lake City, I
                        > >received a notice stating that the price of copies was going up to $2.00
                        > >EACH copy; minimum of $4.00 charge per request. This is for copies from
                        > >census records, books, microfilm/fiche and patron submissions, which
                        > >formerly cost 25 cents apiece with a minimum of $2.00 charge per request.
                        > >Regards,
                        > >Eileen

                        ---

                      • Carol Lylyk
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                          Thanks Judi, (I guess - as they say 'Don't shoot the messenger!') <G> I guess they just missed
                          putting the notice in with the copies I received. I will have to order more prudently now although
                          the price still isn't too bad.

                          Carol Lylyk
                          Calgary
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                            If I understand this recent increase in fees correctly, does this not help
                            us make a case for the Calgary Family History Centre to bring in the Ontario
                            Civil Registrations for births, marriages and deaths?

                            I would be more willing to pay for the films to come into the Calgary Centre
                            and stay here, than to send $32 U.S. to Salt Lake City to have 8
                            certificates Xeroxed.

                            I realize other alternatives exist. I can drive to the Edmonton (220 miles)
                            or Lethbridge (120 miles)Family History Centres several times a year.
                            Edmonton has films of the actual certificates for most years. It is only
                            the most recent years that are sporadic.

                            In addition, I would really like to see the indexes to the registrations up
                            on the internet. (I don't want much do I?).

                            Thanks for confirming the "nasty rumor", Judi.

                            Sincerely,
                            Ellen Kinghorn
                            Email: ellen@...
                            Webpage: www.kinghorn.ca

                            > It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to
                            $2.00
                            early 1980s. The cost will now
                            > be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where
                            page
                            > numbers are provided). There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request.
                            The
                            > charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00. Postage
                            charges
                            > are included in the price of the copy.
                            >
                            > Judi Lee

                          • Forte
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                              With the increases in copy prices does anyone know where you can get money orders cheap?

                              It's not the increase in copies that has me in a flap so much as it is that the minimum charge has gone up to US $4.00 as well.   I guess I won't be sending the cash in an envelope anymore.  ....I know I should have done that in the first place, but I  just hate having to pay the CDN  $5.00 service charge for a money order especially when it's for such a small amount.  Is there a better way?   ...Any ideas...? Thanks.

                              Genealogically yours,

                              Researching: FORTE, FERRARA, DUDLEY, THOMAS
                              Alison's Genealogy Page:  http://members.shaw.ca/alison.forte
                              NIVEN Family Connections:  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~niven

                              > It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to
                              $2.00
                              early 1980s.  The cost will now
                              > be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where
                              page
                              > numbers are provided).  There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request.
                              The
                              > charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00.  Postage
                              charges
                              > are included in the price of the copy.
                              >
                              > Judi Lee

                            • Ellen Kinghorn
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                                Alison:  I just go to my bank (Royal) and ask for a money order and there is no charge...American or International.

                                Ellen Kinghorn
                                Email: ellen@...

                                > It is true that the cost of photocopies from Salt Lake has gone up to
                                $2.00
                                early 1980s.  The cost will now
                                > be US $2.00 per copy from census records, microfilms, and books (where
                                page
                                > numbers are provided).  There is a US $4.00 minimum charge per request.
                                The
                                > charge for a copy of an IGI source will remain at US $2.00.  Postage
                                charges
                                > are included in the price of the copy.
                                >
                                > Judi Lee

                              • Judith Rempel
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                                  I do the same - but it requires that you have Royal Certified Service to
                                  get this benefit.

                                  --
                                  In Kinship,
                                  Judith Rempel, Webster

                                  and

                                  afhs@...

                                  Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
                                  http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

                                  FamilyRoots 2002
                                • Lois Sparling
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 6, 2002
                                    Dear Ellen

                                    The free money orders at the Royal Bank depend on what type of service
                                    plan you have.

                                    Lois Sparling
                                  • Frank Morrow
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 7, 2002

                                      Hi Lucky', I too get mine for free at CIBC - hey, it rhymes. This is one of the few benefits of being a 'senior'.
                                    • Richard Trostem
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 7, 2002
                                        That's in the process of changing at thr Royal, regardless of what
                                        service you have. I believe that effective July 1, if you purchase more
                                        than twelve money orders in a calendar year, the charge will be
                                        $10.00/order (after the free 12). It's something like that, but your
                                        Royal Bank can tell you the specifics, if you ask.

                                        Richard

                                        Judith Rempel wrote:

                                        > I do the same - but it requires that you have Royal Certified Service to
                                        > get this benefit.
                                        >
                                        > Alison: I just go to my bank (Royal) and ask for a money order and
                                        > there is no charge...American or International.
                                        >
                                        > --
                                        > In Kinship,
                                        > Judith Rempel, Webster
                                        > rempel@...
                                        > JR Solutions
                                        > http://www.jrsolutions.net
                                        >
                                        > and
                                        >
                                        > afhs@...
                                        > Alberta Family Histories Society
                                        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                                        >
                                        > Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
                                        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/
                                        >
                                        > FamilyRoots 2002
                                        > http://www.family-roots.ca
                                        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                                        > http://www.family-roots.ca
                                      • Rene
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 7, 2002
                                          Gordon:

                                          > From Ancestry.com I have a number of people where I have the Record
                                          > Type, District, Year, Quarter, Volume and Page#
                                          >
                                          > Can I get certificates through the LDS or do I hve to get them through
                                          > the PRO. Or would a researcher be better to get me these certificates.

                                          Sorry that I did not join in this discussion sooner but I have had problems
                                          with my e-mail service.

                                          You cannot get English civil registration certificates from the LDS.

                                          My advice on obtaining civil registration certificates is undernoted.
                                          First, however, I have a couple of comments to make:

                                          1. It is true that if a marriage appears in the IGI or the British Vital
                                          Records Index you can get a copy of the entry in the church register from
                                          SLC providing you correctly identify the source.

                                          Some disadvantages to this approach are:

                                          (a) Many post-1837 church registers have not been filmed by the LDS.

                                          (b) The time lapse for obtaining a photocopy from SLC is two months.
                                          This was my personal experience when applying for a copy of a Scottish
                                          marriage certificate earlier this year.

                                          (c) The new charge (effective January 1, 2003) of $4 US minimum/order
                                          has to be taken into account.

                                          2. From several contributors to this discussion it is apparent that they
                                          are concerned about the cost of a sterling money order from the bank. If
                                          this is a concern and you prefer to use a credit card then you have two
                                          choices:

                                          (a) You can purchase a certificate from the Office of National
                                          Statistics (General Register Office), Southport (using a credit card) in
                                          one of two ways:

                                          Order by telephone on +44 (0)870 243 77 88
                                          Fax +44(0)1704 550013

                                          See their website:

                                          http://www.statistics.gov.uk/nsbase/registration/certe_w/fees.asp

                                          for full details. The cost is 8 pounds sterling with full GRO Reference
                                          number. Note that if you give an incorrect GRO reference number you will
                                          not receive a certificate and an administration fee of four pounds, fifty
                                          pence will be charged. Note also that no refund under five pounds will be
                                          issued to an overseas applicant. In effect, therefore, you will have paid 8
                                          pounds for nothing.

                                          (b) You can use a Record Agent to obtain the certificate for you. Many
                                          professional researchers advertise their services in the Family Tree
                                          Magazine (copies at the FHC and in the AFHS library). For faster service
                                          choose one who has an e-mail address. Some dist-gen members (Peter van
                                          Schaik among them) can recommend reliable agents.

                                          * * *

                                          Now for my suggested course of action.

                                          Write to the Register Office where the event was registered. DO NOT quote
                                          the volume and page number (GRO reference number). Be sure to quote the
                                          quarter and year in which you found the entry on the indexes.
                                          Theoretically, they will search for an event for five years but it is much
                                          better to check the indexes first before placing your order.

                                          Check the current address for the Register Office in question at:

                                          http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/blangston/genuki/reg/

                                          Enclose a sterling cheque or money order for seven pounds. This includes
                                          return airmail postage.

                                          There should be no difficulty in obtaining a copy of a birth or death
                                          certificate from the local Register Office. It has been my experience that
                                          local offices give return mail service so you can expect to receive the
                                          certificate in about 3 weeks.

                                          If the event is a marriage the local Register Office needs to have some
                                          idea of the church where the marriage took place. If you do not know the
                                          particular church but know the area where the bride lived before marriage
                                          that would be helpful. This is because in a large city there could be 30 or
                                          more marriage registers and it is too time-consuming for the staff at the
                                          Register Office to look through them all to find your marriage. What they
                                          will do is to look in the register for the mother church of the area, plus
                                          the Register Office's own register. Their register will contain all
                                          non-conformist marriages where a Registrar was required to be present up to
                                          at least 1898, plus all marriages that took place in the Register Office
                                          itself.

                                          If for any reason the local Register Office cannot provide a copy of the
                                          event requested they will return your money in full and refer you to the
                                          General Register Office at Southport (this office deals with all postal
                                          enquiries).

                                          If it is necessary to write to Southport you need to quote the full GRO
                                          reference.

                                          The cost is eight pounds sterling if you supply the full GRO reference
                                          number. Without the reference number the cost is 11 pounds. The mailing
                                          address is:

                                          General Register Office
                                          PO Box 2
                                          Southport, Merseyside, PR8 2JD
                                          UK

                                          Service from Southport is generally slower than from a local Register
                                          Office.

                                          I hope this helps.

                                          Rene