Fwd: Military Code/Shorthand

  • Larry Gilchrist
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2005
      The abbreviations TOS and SOS in the military stands for Taken on Strength and Struck off Strength. Each entry should include a date as well as the name of a unit.

      L.A. Gilchrist (LCol ret'd)

      Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 16:44:47 -0600
      From: Peter and Yvonne Adams <pyst@...>
      Subject: Military Code/Shorthand
      Sender: owner-dist-gen@...
      To: dist-gen <dist-gen@...>

      Hi,

      Any one able to decipher the following code/shorthand found on a WW2 military record.

      My dad enlisted and served in the RCAF (I know this one) during WW2 as first a radio mechanic and then operator.

      In reviewing his record I found;

      a).     R. D. F. Operator (ground).  What would R D F be short for?

      b).    R. D. F. Mechanics (U. T.).  What would U T be short for?

      c).    On a Leave / Pass Form, a rank of AC2 is listed.  What is an AC2?

      d).    There is also reference to a rank of LAC.  Any ideas?

      e).    On the Appendix to the discharge for, a trade of ROG "B" is listed.  Any thoughts what ROG B would be?

       and finally

      f).    on the Record of Service, there is either S.O.S or T.O.S before each unit and place assigned.  Any idea, would they possibly be Start Of Service, and Transfer of Service?

      Thanks in advance for your help.

      Peter, in Calgary, Ab