Military Codes

  • Bob McNarry
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2005
      Caren is right:

      TOS= Taken On Strength
      SOS= Struck Off Strength

      RDF= Radio Direction Finding:  RDF was used before the term radar was coined by the Americans. It was initially highly secret. The term RDF was used to obscure the function of the equipment we now know as radar.
      UT= Universal Time = Greenwich Mean Time = GMT   Necessary to coordinate military activities.
      I am not familiar with Universal Trainer

      Bob McNarry

      Caren Secord wrote:
      Hello -

      I remember hearing once that TOS and SOS mean something like Taken on Strength and Sent off Strength, when you are talking of men moving from one unit to another.  Actually, I see from http://www.pwgsc.gc.ca/compensation/psc/psc-7-2241-e.html that they are Taken on Strength and Struck off Strength.

      Caren

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 29, 2005
        If it is Taken on Strength then there should be another line underneath with the same unit name with Struck off Strength and so on

        I've looked at my service records (Air Force), my fathers (Navy) and my grandfathers (Army) and all say posted or transferred when moving between units/stations.

        TOS could stand for Technical/Tactical Operations Squadron

        UT is Unit Trainer - there was no such thing as Universal Time in World War 2