terminology

  • The Kashubas
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2005
      the original sender

      Can anyone answer this?

      On the 1851 census I have a man with a housekeeper and a bunch of kids. The
      adults aren't married.

      All the children have his name as the middle name and the housekeeper's last
      name as their last name.

      I believe these children are the product of the two adults. Beside the
      children it states "Natural Son" or "Natural Daur"

      What does the Natural part mean? The census enumerator just put Son or Daur
      beside the other people on the same page.

      Thanks for any help
      Kathy
      http://members.shaw.ca/kashuba4

    • Sharon
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 29, 2005
        the original sender

        'Natural' child is usually always taken to mean a
        child is illegitimate.

        Sharon