Military Code/Shorthand

  • Peter and Yvonne Adams
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2005
      Hi,

      Any one able to decipher the following code/shorthand found on a WW2 military record.

      My dad enlisted and served in the RCAF (I know this one) during WW2 as first a radio mechanic and then operator.

      In reviewing his record I found;

      a).     R. D. F. Operator (ground).  What would R D F be short for?

      b).    R. D. F. Mechanics (U. T.).  What would U T be short for?

      c).    On a Leave / Pass Form, a rank of AC2 is listed.  What is an AC2?

      d).    There is also reference to a rank of LAC.  Any ideas?

      e).    On the Appendix to the discharge for, a trade of ROG "B" is listed.  Any thoughts what ROG B would be?

       and finally

      f).    on the Record of Service, there is either S.O.S or T.O.S before each unit and place assigned.  Any idea, would they possibly be Start Of Service, and Transfer of Service?

      Thanks in advance for your help.

      Peter, in Calgary, Ab
    • Gordon Lane
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 29, 2005
        Generally accepted terms

        R.D.F = Radio Direction Finder may be Radar but would think Radio as you state that he was a Radio mechanic
        U.T. = Unit Trainer
        AC2 = Aircraftman Level 2
        LAC = Leading Aircraftman
        ROG B = Radio Operator Ground Level B
        TOS = Time on Station
        SOS = Special Operations Squadron

        Regards

        Gordon Lane
        Chairman
        Alberta Family Histories Society
        712-16th Ave NW,
        Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

        chairman@...
        www.afhs.ab.ca
        (403)214-1447

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 29, 2005
          Hello -

          I remember hearing once that TOS and SOS mean something like Taken on Strength and Sent off Strength, when you are talking of men moving from one unit to another.  Actually, I see from http://www.pwgsc.gc.ca/compensation/psc/psc-7-2241-e.html that they are Taken on Strength and Struck off Strength.

          Caren