Original Land Deed of Calgary General Hospital

  • Frank Reaume
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2005
      Hi Everybody,
      I'm including a typewritten copy of the "Original Land Deed of the Calgary General Hospital" in the body of this email.
      I've had this for several years now and I felt that maybe someone out there may be interested in it.
      If anybody would like a copy of it as a WORD attachment please send me your request to my home email address.
      Catch you all later,

                                  Typewritten Copy of the Handwritten

                                         “Original Land Deed of the

                                              Calgary General Hospital”

      Recorded in the Department of the Interior

      The 10 July………………1891

      Lib:70.                              Folio 245

      ______Xxx X.X.Xxxxxxx____

      Registrar of Dominion Land Records

      Deputy Governor, - Canada,

      Victoria, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Queen, Defender of the Faith, Ie., Ie., Ie.,

      To all to whom these presents shall come,

      Greeting: -

      Whereas, the lands hereinafter mentioned are Dominion Lands within the meaning of the Dominion Lands Act,

      And whereas, Our Governor in Council has set apart and appropriated the said lands as a site for a hospital and for purpose in connection therewith and it is expedient that a free agent of the said lands should be made to The Calgary General Hospital, a Body Corporate and politic duly incorporated under an Ordnance of the North West Territories passed in the year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred and ninety numbered Twenty-two (hereinafter called the said Corporation) to be used for the said purposes.

      Now Know Ye that we do hereby grant, convey and assure unto the said Corporation its successors and assigns, all that parcel or tract of land, situate, lying and being in the Twenty-fourth Towns Life in the first range west of the fifth Meridian, in he Provisional District of Alberta, in the North West Territories, in our Dominion of Canada and being composed of Villa Lot numbered Two, in the Subdivision of a portion of the North half of Section Fourteen of the said Township, which lies to the North of the Bow River, as shown upon a map or plan of survey of Villa Lot and Boulevard &c; in said February 1886, approved and confirmed at Ottawa on the 8th day of June 1886 by Edward Deville, Surveyor General of Dominion law and of record in the department of the Interior.  The land hereby granted containing by measurement Three and Seventy-five hundredths acres, more or less.

      To have and to hold the said lands unto the said Corporation, its successors and assigns forever upon and subject to the following trusts and uses that is to say that the said lands are to be used by the said Corporation its successors and assigns as a site upon which to erect a Hospital and for purposes in connection with such Hospital and for no other purpose or purposes whatsoever; And it is hereby declared to be an express condition of the grant hereby made that if the said lands or any par thereof shall at any time hereafter be used for any purpose or purposes other than those hereinbefore set forth then these Presents and everything therein contained shall become and be null and void, and it shall be lawful for Us, our successors or assigns thereupon or at any time thereafter into and upon the said lands or any part hereof in the name of the whole to re-enter and the same to have again re-possess and enjoy as of Our and their former estate therein anything herein obtained to the contrary notion notwithstanding saving and reserving, nevertheless unto Us, Our Successors and assigns, the full uses passage and enjoyment of, in, over and upon all navigable waters that now are or may be hereafter found on, or under, or flowing through or upon any part of the said parcel or tract of land; Also reserving all mines and minerals which may be found to exist within, upon, or under such lands, together with full power to work the same, and for this purpose to enter upon, and us and occupy the said lands or so much thereof and to such an extent as may be necessary for the effectual working of the said minerals or the mines, pits, seams and veins containing the same; and also reserving thereout and therefrom all rights of fishery and fishing and occupation in connection therewith upon, around and adjacent to said lands, and also he privilege of landing from and mooring boats and vessels upon any part of the said lands and using the said lands in connection with the rights of Fishery and Fishing hereby reserved, so far may be reasonably necessary to the exercise of such rights,

      Given under the Great Seal of Canada, Witness, John Joseph McGill, Esquire, Deputy or Our Right Trusty and Well Beloved, the Right Honourable Sir Fredrick Arthur Stanley, Baron Stanley of Preston in the County of Lancaster in the Peerage of Great Britain and Ireland, Knight Grand Cross of Our Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Governor General of Canada,

      At Ottawa, this Tenth day of July, in the year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred and ninety-one and in the fifty-fifth year of Our Reign.

      By Command Lt. Catellin

          Under Secretary of State

           Jxxxxxx Hall

           Acting Deputy of the Minister of the Interior

      Fiat No. 46,871

      Special Grant No. 286

      Frank Reaume CD, UNEF II, Veteran's Plate: VEG29    Olympic TorchBearer, Friday, Feb. 12, 1988, into Carstairs, Alberta
      260 Bracewood Rd. S.W.    Calgary AB   T2W 3C1    Home: 403-238-2820    Work: 403-777-8320    Pager: 403-515-9321
      Email at Home: frankreaume@...    Email at Work: fareaume@...