Re: 1834 letter

  • Bill Mumford
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 15, 2005
      the original sender

      At the October meeting of the AFHS Computer Group I mentioned a letter I
      received recently that had been written by my greatgreatgreatuncle, who
      was living in the Murray Township of Upper Canada in 1834, to his
      brother in Essex, England.

      In this three page letter he urges his brother, sister, and a brother in
      law to emigrate to Canada. He describes conditions in Upper Canada at
      that time, available jobs and wages. He also details what items an
      immigrant should bring as well as the best route to Upper Canada from
      Montreal. Several attendees at the meeting asked that I make this letter
      available. E-mail was out of the question for several reasons so I have
      made it available on my website, www.mumford.ca/file Be sure to point
      your browser to this address, not just mumford.ca

      Also available at this site is a 35 page document detailing how the Poor
      Laws of England were interpreted and enforced in northwest Essex from
      1735 to 1835. While many of you are probably familiar with the Poor
      Laws this article brings up details you are not likely to find in a
      history book. After reading it I found myself wondering why any of the
      poor remained in England. Their treatment was horrific and life on the
      frontier in Upper Canada would seem like a vacation in comparison.

      The documents are in Word format.

      Cheers

      Bill