Thank you (was: Calgary, Alberta Adoption 1943)

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 15, 2005
      Hello,
      It's been awhile since i posted here, but now I have a question
      that I can't find the answer for.  Hope someone can help me.
      What can a person born and adopted as a baby in 1943 in Calgary
      do to find his biological parents?
      He is still alive so I don't want to post personal information in this
      email.
      Appreciate any and all advice.
      thank you,   Groetjes  Peter

      Thanks to all who replied to my question.
      Susan, Gord , Robert , Carol , Bill and Beverley thanks for your help .

      I have copied and pasted all your answers together , and will give it to
      the man's daughter.  She will be able to take it from there.

      Appreciate you're quick and detailed response.

      Groetjes
      Peter

    • Bill Mumford
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 15, 2005
        the original sender

        At the October meeting of the AFHS Computer Group I mentioned a letter I
        received recently that had been written by my greatgreatgreatuncle, who
        was living in the Murray Township of Upper Canada in 1834, to his
        brother in Essex, England.

        In this three page letter he urges his brother, sister, and a brother in
        law to emigrate to Canada. He describes conditions in Upper Canada at
        that time, available jobs and wages. He also details what items an
        immigrant should bring as well as the best route to Upper Canada from
        Montreal. Several attendees at the meeting asked that I make this letter
        available. E-mail was out of the question for several reasons so I have
        made it available on my website, www.mumford.ca/file Be sure to point
        your browser to this address, not just mumford.ca

        Also available at this site is a 35 page document detailing how the Poor
        Laws of England were interpreted and enforced in northwest Essex from
        1735 to 1835. While many of you are probably familiar with the Poor
        Laws this article brings up details you are not likely to find in a
        history book. After reading it I found myself wondering why any of the
        poor remained in England. Their treatment was horrific and life on the
        frontier in Upper Canada would seem like a vacation in comparison.

        The documents are in Word format.

        Cheers

        Bill