FW: Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER Vol. 2, #5 - 22 September 2005

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2005
      the original sender

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Chairman
      Alberta Family Histories Society
      712-16th Ave NW,
      Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

      chairman@...
      www.afhs.ab.ca
      (403)214-1447

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Malcolm at ACDB-Canada [mailto:malcolm@...]
      Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 8:25 PM
      To: chairman@...
      Subject: Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER Vol. 2, #5 - 22 September 2005

      Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER V2#5 - 22 September 2005

      Contents:
      1 WELCOME
      2 WHAT’S IN THE NEWSLETTER
      3 NEW CANADIAN RELEASES (2)
      4 COMING SOON
      5 NEW RELEASES FROM OTHER PARTNERS
      Australian Books ( 30 )
      6 NEWS & GOSSIP
      7 FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY AND OTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS
      8 PREVIOUSLY RELEASED BOOKS

      1 WELCOME:
      Welcome to the Archive CD Books Canada newsletter. Well the summer
      continues despite passing Labour day and surviving various hurricanes and
      tropical storms. The newsletter is a little late this month because we
      thought we would have news of some more Irish titles but they seem to have
      got held up somewhere so they will have to wait a bit. Lots of news from
      Australia though!

      This newsletter will be published whenever we have enough information to
      make it worth your while reading, but we expect that will mean there will be
      about one a month.

      Remember this Newsletter is published for you so if you think we’re missing
      something important drop me a line to Malcolm@....

      Newsletters work best when they get a good circulation. We’re doing our
      best to let people know about it but you could help us along by mentioning
      it to your genealogy buddies and generally spreading the word. Give them
      the URL
      <http://www.british-genealogy.com/mailman/listinfo/cdbooks-news-canada>
      and they can sign-up directly.

      You can also use this same address to manage your subscription and to access
      the archives.
      I’m afraid I forgot to update the archives last month so I will be archiving
      two issues soon.

      2 WHAT’S IN THE NEWSLETTER:
      A total of 32 new title releases in this newsletter.
      New releases from Archive CD Books Canada.
      New Australian Books on CD
      News, Gossip, and more.

      3 NEW CANADIAN RELEASES:
      To find a book on our web site http://www.archivecdbooks.ca take a note of
      the catalogue number - or use the “copy” function - go to the web site,
      click on the “Search Page” link and enter, or “paste,” the number into the
      “Product Number” box. Hit “Search” and then “More” and you will be in a
      position to reread the description or to place your order.
      There is frequently more information about the books available on the web
      site. All prices in $Cdn.

      We frequently shorten a book’s description for this newsletter. Check our
      website catalogue for the full description.

      * Toronto's 100 Years
      CA0132: $19.00
      This book was produced under the authority of the City of Toronto as an
      accompaniment and memento of the celebrations to mark the 100th anniversary
      of the city's incorporation in 1834. It provides an excellent history of
      the settlement from it's first incarnation as a fortified trading post under
      French protection through the establishment of "Muddy" York town and the
      subsequent transition to Toronto. The history of York begins with Colonel
      Simcoe setting up his two room tent and progresses through to the "modern"
      city of 1934. All aspects of the the city's life are reviewed and many
      interesting and some surprising facts are revealed.

      The book is copiously and beautifully illustrated by woodcut engravings,
      many of which bear the unmistakable signature of the Art Deco style of the
      day. As well as fulfilling it's original intent the book is a fascinating
      insight into the life of the city of one to two generations ago. This would
      obviously be a useful book for anyone researching ancestors who lived in
      Toronto, giving them a context to their lives. I, as an occasional visitor
      to the city and having no ancestral connections, found it equally
      fascinating for giving a special insight into the background of what can be
      a rather impersonal and formidable place.

      Of the book's 224 pages some 160 provide the historical text and
      illustrations. The remainder provide advertising by many of the 1934 city's
      major businesses and corporations. These advertisements are an education in
      their own right and I was surprised to see some very familiar names which I
      had not realized had been so long established.

      We have configured the book for computer searches of the text using a PDF
      interpreter application such as Adobe Reader™ V4 or better. We have
      provided a downloadable sampler on our Downloads page so you can see for
      yourself the charm and value of this book.

      * The Loyalists of America and Their Times from 1620 to 1816 - 2 Volumes
      CA0182: $35.00
      In just two volumes this book, published in 1880, covers an enormous sweep
      of North American history and does so while encompassing events both at the
      national level and at the very personal level. An absolute necessity for
      those tracing their Loyalist roots.

      It took Egerton Ryerson, himself a descendent of Colonel Joseph Ryerson
      of the famous Loyalist Ryerson family, 25 years to complete this book.
      This was not only due to his being employed as the Chief Superintendent of
      Education for Upper Canada from 1844 to 1876 but can also largely be
      ascribed to the enormous amount of personal research he did to determine his
      facts. Egerton, circulated an open letter requesting all descendants of the
      United Empire Loyalists to write to him, at his expense, and give him their
      histories and reminiscences. Many of the resulting letters are reproduced
      in this book.

      This is a wonderful history, not only in it's primary purpose of detailing
      the origins of the United Empire Loyalists, but also in recording the
      history of the uneasy relationship between the United
      States of America and the British colonies which have become Canada.
      Egerton Ryerson had a genius for combining the "big picture" with the
      detailed account in such a way that the story comes to life and you can feel
      yourself living the experience. Many of the original Loyalists, and their
      descendants, are identified - with some of their individual experiences
      being recounted.

      We thank the Penetanguishene Centennial Museum and Archive (Ontario),
      Curator Nicole Jackson, for allowing us to borrow the Volume 2 of this set
      from their collection. We subsequently purchased the Volume 1 to complete
      this CD. We have now donated our Volume 1 to them, both for safe keeping and
      to provide the Archive with a complete two volume, set.

      Both volumes are reproduced on a single CD as high quality images of
      the original publication. In addition the text has been computer
      "read" so that it can be searched using the "Search" & "Find" features of
      freely available PDF file interpreter applications such as Adobe Reader™.

      We have placed a sampler of this book on our Downloads page if you wish to
      browse before you buy.
      THIS DESCRIPTION HAS BEEN TRUNCATED - SEE THE WEB SITE FOR A FULL VERSION.

      4 COMING SOON:

      In work right now is the fabulous 2 volume “Picturesque Canada.” We are
      taking extra care with this one so it is taking a little longer than usual
      to produce.
      We are working on a number of interesting potential cooperative projects and
      if any of these develop in the next month they will take first place in the
      scanning list. Otherwise, we have been collecting a number of the wonderful
      County histories of Ontario, a great 3 volume work on Saskatchewan and a
      number of interesting Canadian Church histories. We plan to start
      publishing these as soon as we can.

      5 NEW RELEASES FROM OTHER PARTNERS:
      (All prices in $Cdn.)

      AUSTRALIAN BOOKS - NEW RELEASES:

      We frequently shorten a book’s description for this newsletter. Check our
      website catalogue for the full description.

      * The Hawkesbury and Shoalhaven Calendar, Directory, Guide and Historical
      Record
      AU2017: $22.70
      Written for the people of the Shoalhaven and Hawkesbury districts in 1905,
      this book includes a large variety of general and household information,
      including a calendar, cultural and cookery guide, directory, historical
      record and useful household compendium. It also includes many photos and
      sketches.
      A large proportion of the book contains a detailed account of the area and
      its history including information on the districts growth and development,
      events, churches, schools, agriculture and culture.
      Biographical notes on several prominent people are also included. The
      directory gives a list of people in certain roles in the community.
      The calendar, cultural guide and cookery guide provide a unique view of life
      in the district at that time.
      This book is very useful to the local and family historian, providing direct
      information on many people and events as well as giving amazing insight into
      life and culture in the Shoalhaven and Hawkesbury districts.
      The whole text is searchable. Search for any word in the text - names,
      places and more.

      *Notable Citizens of Sydney
      AU2018: $31.40
      This book was written in 1940, during which 'the greatest war of all times
      is in progress and the Nations are fighting for civilization and liberty. In
      such times as these, we are dependent on men of ambition, courage, and
      foresight, to lead us in both commercial and public life'.
      This book is a compilation of Notable citizens of Sydney. It gives a photo
      and caricature of each person together with a profile, including their
      vocation, birth, education, hobbies, recreations, address and special
      features.
      The book gives an interesting glimpse into the life of important men in New
      South Wales at this time in the states history.

      * Orange and District Illustrated
      AU2021: $26.80
      ‘Orange and District Illustrated' is an illustrated historical, statistical
      and descriptive record of the area and was published in 1928. The aim in
      publishing the book was to 'collate the most important features in the
      districts growth and combine with them typical town and country views (both
      old and new), photos, many past and present prominent citizens and concise
      statistical information'.
      The book includes details of the pioneering of Orange, its early days, its
      culture and development, and its people as well as information on churches,
      schools, farming, events, and community interests and much more, all
      accompanied with photographs.
      A fascinating book filled with information for the family and local
      historian. The whole text is searchable.

      ----------------------------------
      * Government Gazettes:
      Government Gazettes contain a vast amount of historical and genealogical
      information. However they are largely an untapped resource. The few complete
      runs that are available are usually only found in major libraries. And even
      for researchers who do have access to these the sheer size and extent of the
      Gazettes is daunting.
      Now that is all changing - with the publication of the gazettes on
      affordable and searchable form on CD-ROM.
      Tens of thousands of ordinary people and localities, small and large, are
      mentioned EVERY YEAR in Government Gazettes. But they offer researchers much
      more than simply names and places. They will help you reconstruct events and
      circumstances in the life of individuals and communities.

      * New South Wales Government Gazette 1855
      AU2100-1855: $54.10
      The whole text of the 2 volume, 3440 page volume set is searchable.
      Search for any word in the text - names, places and more.

      * South Australian Government Gazette 1851
      AU5100-1851: $40.50
      The whole of the gazette (which totals over 900 pages) is searchable.

      * South Australian Government Gazette 1852
      AU5100-1852: $40.50
      The whole of the gazette (which totals 800 pages) is searchable.

      * Hobart Town Gazette 1844
      AU6100-1844: $49.50
      The whole text of the 1582 page volume is searchable.

      * Hobart Town Gazette 1870
      AU6100-1870: $49.50
      The whole text of the 1582 page volume is searchable.

      * Victorian Government Gazette 1863
      AU7100-1863: $54.10
      The whole of the two volumes (which total over 3000 pages) is searchable.

      * Victorian Government Gazette 1874
      AU7100-1874: $54.10
      The whole of the two volumes (which total over 2300 pages) is searchable.

      * Victorian Government Gazette 1888
      AU7100-1888: $54.10
      The whole of these enormous two volume (which total over 4300 pages) is
      searchable.

      ---------------------------
      * New South Wales Post Office Directory (Wise's) 1900 - Wise
      AU2110-1900: $49.50
      A huge volume of over 1500 pages, this book is divided into several main
      sections: Sydney and Suburbs, with a street index, and street by street
      listings of all houses and the householder of each address. Then a Country
      Directory section that lists people with trades in each place together with
      their occupations, and alphabetical directories of people in Sydney and
      Suburbs and the New South Wales Country .
      The directory includes many pages of advertisements - all useful
      information, often including names of people and places.
      The whole 1541 page directory, including most text in the ads, is
      searchable, useful not only for finding names, but also places occupations
      and other information for family and local historians.

      * Hall's Official Country Directory of New South Wales 1899-1900
      AU2116-1899: $35.90
      The 1899-1900 'Halls Country Business, Professional and Pastoral Directory
      and Gazetteer of New South Wales' is divided into four sections; firstly
      country towns, then alphabetical list, pastoral directory and lastly a
      gazetteer.
      The COUNTRY TOWNS section provides information on trades, business and
      professions by town name.
      The ALPHABETICAL LIST gives business and professional people by name.
      The PASTORAL DIRECTORY gives a list of owners, name of run, number of stock
      and postal district.
      The GAZETTEER contains rail, boat, mail and general business information
      along with two maps.
      The whole of this 608 page volume is fully searchable and provides a wealth
      of information for the family historian.
      The whole 608 page directory, including most text in the ads, is searchable,
      useful not only for finding names, but also places occupations and other
      information for family and local historians.

      * Mount Gambier 'The Garden of the State': Official Souvenir
      AU5030: $19.10
      This little book was issued by the committee as a souvenir as part of the
      'back to Mount Gambier' celebrations in its jubilee year, 1926. It is
      written as a short account of the history of Mount Gambier and district in
      South Australia, and includes information on its discovery and foundation,
      the subdivision of the land, growth of the town, the first newspaper,
      municipal history, churches, schools and descriptions of the beauty of the
      area.
      Several photos of places throughout the Mount Gambier district and of people
      who were prominent in its history are also included in the book.
      The book contains a proud, informative account of Mount Gambier, the Garden
      of the State and its history.
      The whole text is searchable. Search for any word in the text - names,
      places and more.

      * Colonel William Light: Founder of Adelaide - S. Gill
      AU5031: $26.80
      A biography of Colonel William Light, founder of Adelaide, sailor, soldier,
      artist and the first Surveyor-General of South Australia. This book is
      largely a compilation of letters, photos, journal entries, drawings, and
      maps used to create a very comprehensive account of Colonel Light's life by
      Thomas Gill in 1911.
      The book tells of his early years and family, his naval and military career,
      his arrival in South Australia and his work in that state and his death. The
      book also talks about his impact in South Australia after his death.
      Also included is a copy of Colonel Light's 'Brief Journal', and facsimiles
      of two of his handwritten letters.
      Full of fascinating information and primary sources on Colonel Light and
      South Australia, this book provides wonderful insight into this unique
      perspective of South Australia.
      The whole text is searchable. Search for any word in the text - names,
      places and more.

      * Memories of Early Days in South Australia 1837-1845 - A. Watts
      AU5035: $35.90
      This book tells the story of an early South Australian immigrant woman and
      the family she belonged to. The story starts as they leave England in May
      1837, and describes their journey out, life on Kangaroo Island until they
      moved to the main land in 1840, and their life in Adelaide, including
      descriptions of the family's first Australian dinner party, a wedding, Port
      Adelaide, a visit to Klemzig, and a picnic at Mount Lofty.
      Letters by the author's sister are included in the last half of the book as
      well as some original poems, giving even more insight into life at this
      time.
      The book tells of the life, politics, culture, trials and struggles of a
      brand new colony.
      The whole text is searchable. Search for any word in the text - names,
      places and more.

      * South Australia: Its Progress and Prosperity - A. Forster
      AU5036: $35.90
      Written in 1866 from a 'desire to supply the fullest and most recent
      information respecting a colony which is likely soon to become one of the
      most important under the British crown', this book contains about 500 pages
      of early South Australian colonial history.
      The book was written only 30 years after proclamation by Anthony Forster,
      who had been a member of the legislative council in Adelaide during its
      early days. It therefore provides very interesting and direct insight into
      the nature of society in South Australia at this time and the way it was
      governed.
      Many areas of the early South Australian colony are included, ranging from
      British colonialism and South Australian colonization to geography and
      natural history, including South Australian government, exploration, trade,
      agriculture, pastoral interest, religion and education, aborigines and
      immigration.
      This account was one of the first comprehensive and enlightening records of
      the colony of South Australia. As a result it provides a great primary
      source of early South Australia for both family and local historians.

      * Man of All Work: The Life and Labours of Rev. James Maughan - W. Cooke
      AU5037: $31.40
      The full title of this book is 'The Man of All Work: A Memoir of the Life
      and Labours of the Rev. James Maughan with Selections from his Sermons and
      Lectures.'
      Rev. James Maughan was born and educated in the United Kingdom. He left
      there for Australia to start a mission in 1862, and laboured in Adelaide
      until his death in 1871 at the age of 45.
      This book of memoirs was written by William Cooke, an author of several
      books. Cooke knew James Maughan personally throughout most of his life.
      Also included in this publication are excerpts from letters, sermons and
      lectures.
      This is an interesting and informative record of the life of an early South
      Australian Missionary.
      The whole text is searchable.

      * Reminiscences of Forty Seven Years Clerical Life in South Australia
      AU5038: $31.40
      This book was written by the Rev. E.K. Miller, as an account 'of the early
      efforts to establish a branch of the Church of England in South Australia'
      and is dedicated to the churches members.
      Rev. E.K Miller was 'Incumbent' of several Church of England branches
      throughout South Australia including St. George's at Woodforde, St.
      Martin's at Campbelltown, St. Stephen's at Willunga, St. Phillip and St.
      James at Noarlunga and St. Ann's at Aldinga. The book is a history of the
      early Church of England in South Australia in the form of personal
      reminiscences from 1847 to 1894.
      The book provides an interesting primary source account of the early church
      in South Australia and also provides interesting insight into life, culture
      and religion in South Australia at this time.
      This CD book has been formatted to be searchable using Adobe Acrobat Reader.

      * Tasmanians in the Transvaal War - J. Bufton
      AU6007: $35.90
      This book was written by John Bufton, an academic who has written several
      books. It was written to be a comprehensive, accurate and complete narrative
      of the Transvaal war (or Boer War) in South Africa, as it was the first war
      that Australia participated in.
      As the book is written in memory of those who 'fought and fell for the
      honour of the empire and the glory of their country' and is 'a soldiers
      book', many diary entries and letters written by soldiers are included.
      Also included are letters from government officials on both sides, medical
      papers, government reports and press reports, making the history more
      personal and accurate.
      The book starts off with a history of the reasons for the war, and continues
      into the war itself in greater detail, the first contingents, Tasmania's
      bushmen, second contingents, first Australian Commonwealth horse, prisoner's
      experiences and the last roll call.
      A very detailed and comprehensive account of the colony in Tasmania
      supporting 'the Motherland' in the Transvaal war.
      The whole text is searchable.

      * Tasmania Post Office Directory 1923 (Wise)
      AU6110-1923: $31.40
      This directory is divided into three main sections: Towns; Alphabetical; and
      Trades and Professions. These three classifications enable the enquirer to
      see at a glance, first, the names of Householders or Traders in any one
      Town; secondly, the address and occupation of any resident in the State;
      and, thirdly, the number of persons throughout Tasmania, engaged in any one
      trade or calling.
      Separate directories are given in the following areas, making the work
      comprehensive and complete Ecclesiastical, Legal, Educational, Banking and
      Finance, Insurance, Fruit Growing, Pastoral and Agricultural, Local and
      General Government, Municipal, The whole 446 page directory, including most
      text in the ads, is searchable, useful not only for finding names, but also
      places, occupations and other information for family and local historians.

      * Come to Mildura: Souvenir and Song Book
      AU7012: $14.00
      This booklet was published as a souvenir of the 'come to Mildura (Victoria),
      the land of winter sunshine' week in about 1929. It includes descriptions
      and short histories of Mildura, its pioneers, industries, churches, and its
      government.
      Also included is a program of the 'Come to Mildura' week and the words and
      music to their souvenir song 'Mildura, Home of Mine'.
      This proud and patriotic booklet, offers fascinating view into the land and
      history of Mildura.
      The whole text is searchable.

      * Pastures New: An Account of the Pastoral Occupation of Port Phillip - R.
      Billis & A. Kenyon
      AU7024: $26.80
      An account of the pastoral occupation of Port Phillip, written by R.V.
      Billis and Alfred S. Kenyon (a noted historian) in 1930. This book is
      written as a history and account of pasturing and the merino sheep and wool
      industry in Port Phillip from its first permanent settling in 1835 to the
      gold rush of the 1850's. It includes information on laws, land sales,
      squatters, the first land boom, pastoral companies, station hands, bush
      ranging, exports, stock diseases, gold, meat trade, pioneer women,
      depressions and much more.
      This publication also includes extracts from diaries and notes of early
      pioneers as well as from letters which provide an excellent primary source
      for historians and genealogists. As Billis and Kenyon say; these 'not only
      carry us in fancy to the early scenes and life in the bush - for they
      breathe the very spirit of the times - but they are of historic value' which
      is very true of the book itself.
      The whole text is searchable.

      * Memoirs of a Stockman
      AU7025: $31.40
      This book is a fascinating compilation of the memoirs of Harry H. Peck,
      a stockman who was associated with Newmarket in Victoria for almost 70
      years. It is written as a history of stock marketing, especially of
      Newmarket from the point of view of Harry Peck, and is compiled from
      his own memories and experiences along with the help of others who had
      records of the early days of Newmarket.
      The book covers stock market history from the 1840s to the 1940s, and
      includes chapters on the history of Newmarket, famous cattlemen,
      Gippsland pioneers, Westernport, the Great Kyogle land deal, Goulburn,
      Albury, Murray, Kiewa and Mitta Runs, Holbrook and many others.
      Harry Peck's memoirs offer amazing insight into the lives of stockmen
      of all kinds in Australia's history as well as providing a detailed
      history of stocks in Victoria in this period, and thus is a fantastic
      resource for local and family historians.

      The whole text of this 346 page book is searchable - names, places -
      in fact any word in the text.

      * Land Tax Register and Valuation Victoria 1888
      AU7026: $19.10
      A copy of the Land Tax Register and Valuation for Victoria, a
      supplement to the December 7 issue of the Victorian Government Gazette
      1888. This CD book contains 220 pages of tables of Land Tax Registers
      and Valuations, information listed includes: Name of Owner, Address,
      Nature of interest, Situation of land, Section, Allotment, Area, Class
      of land, Valuation, Sums payable etc.,
      Fully Searchable, this document is useful for finding out details of
      your ancestors land ownership in Victoria at this time.

      * Sands, Kenny & Co's Melbourne Directory 1861
      AU7113-1861: $31.40
      The full title of this directory is ‘Sands, Kenny & Co’s Commercial and
      General Melbourne Directory for 1861’. This Directory consists of a
      trade directory (listed both alphabetically by name, and by trade) for
      much or Melbourne and suburbs. It also includes a street guide, street
      directory, societies directory, government and official directory,
      ecclesiastical and legal directory and a municipal directory.
      The directory concludes with over 40 pages of advertisements - all
      useful insight, often including names of people and places.
      The whole directory, including most text in the ads, is searchable.

      * Western Australia Post Office Directory 1910 (Wise's) - Wise
      AU8110-1910: $45.00
      The 1910 edition of Wise's Western Australia Post Office Directory is
      divided into three main sections: Towns, Alphabetical and Trades and
      Professions. These three classifications enable the enquirer to see at
      a glance the Householders or Traders in any one Town; the Business and
      Address of any resident in the State; and the Firms throughout Western
      Australia engaged in any trade or profession.
      THE TOWNS SECTION contains the usual separate Streets Directories of
      Perth and Suburbs, Fremantle and Suburbs, Kalgoorlie, Boulder and
      Coolgardie, with Alphabetical Directories of every other Town, Township
      and Postal District in Western Australia.
      THE ALPHABETICAL SECTION contains the Names, Occupations and Postal
      Addresses for the entire State.
      THE TRADES SECTION shows the Business Firms of the State, arranged
      under their trades or professions.
      The whole 1090 page directory, including most text in the ads, is
      searchable, useful not only for finding names, but also places
      occupations and other information for family and local historians.

      * Stewart's Handbook of the Pacific Islands 1921 - P. Allan
      AU9110-1921: $35.90
      Stewart's Handbook was written by Percy S. Allen and revised annually.
      Each year a comprehensive account of all of the Pacific Islands is
      included.
      The book is divided into islands owned by New Zealand, France, Britain,
      USA, and Australia. It is then divided into separate island groups.
      Information on each group of islands gives a comprehensive history and
      geography of each island. This is often accompanied by information on
      government officials, trade statistics, churches, business, shipping,
      population, customs and tariffs, exports and lists of residents. It
      includes a map detailing the entire Pacific.
      This book is a complete resource for those interested in the history of
      the Pacific Islands.
      The whole text is searchable. Search for any word in the text - names,
      places and more.

      * A Toast to the Future: The Story of George Johnson and his Family
      (and Supplement) - G. Jaunay
      AU9501: $31.40
      Here we have two books on one CD. Written by Graham Jaunay in 1989,
      with a supplement published in 1992, the first book gives an account of
      a family's movement from England to South Australia in 1847 and the
      establishment of their lives and their families in their new state and
      country.
      It focuses on the stories of George and Abigail Johnson and George and
      Phoebe Dickerson (George's mother and her husband) and their families,
      and also includes detailed information on many other families linked to
      these people, such as the Cannells and Spooners.
      The story of these people includes many photos, documents, family trees
      down to the present day, a detailed index of about 3300 names, and
      accounts of interesting exerts from life during the mid 1800's.
      The supplement published later follows on from the first volume and
      includes many names not in the first ... both are reproduced here on
      the one CD for easy reference.

      * The Cannell Connection: The Story of Thomas Rackham Cannell and his
      Family - G. Jaunay
      AU9502: $22.70
      Written by Graham Jaunay in 1994, this book is the story of Thomas
      Rackham Cannell, his wife Mary and their children starting in about
      1830. It tells the story of a South Australian family and how its
      members spread throughout the entire country of Australia.
      The book focuses on the Cannells and their more immediate family but it
      also includes extensive information on other families linked to theirs
      including, the Johnsons, Spooners and Dickersons.
      This record includes many photos, family trees covering many
      generations, a detailed index of about 1200 names, and accounts of life
      in mid 19th century Australia.
      High quality scanned images of the whole of the original book.

      6 NEWS & GOSSIP:

      If any of you have genealogy related questions of a general nature - or
      something specifically related to Archive CD Books - we'd be glad to
      publish your question in this newsletter to tap into the enormous fund
      of knowledge which I know is out there.

      * ARCHIVE CD BOOKS USA:
      Look out for news soon. - Part next <grin>

      * CANADIAN 1911 CENSUS FORMS:
      After the release of the 1911 census there was a demand for forms by
      people who wanted to transcribe their parts of the census - both for
      their own purposes and so it can be submitted to the various bodies who
      are busy creating indexes.
      We are pleased to have provided blank forms to about 6,000 down loaders
      now and we are seeing a number of other sites providing links to our
      site also - MOST of which credit us for providing the service

      * SPECIALS:
      Don’t forget to introduce your friends to our site so they can benefit
      from our current special. All new customers will receive a copy of our
      recently released “Manners and Rules of Good Society,” CA0009
      regularly: $19.00, absolutely free. This book holds the key to the
      social code of 100 + years ago. A great help in understanding the
      attitudes and actions of our ancestors.
      We are beginning to see comments from people who have received this CD
      showing how interesting it is.

      * NEW CANADIAN FORUM on British-Genealogy Forums site:
      Don’t forget the NEW FORUM for Canadian Genealogy discussions. You can
      go to it directly using the following URL :
      <http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=333>
      or if you want to navigate to it through the hierarchy you go through
      “Family History” - “Place Forums” and then you’ll find “Canada
      Genealogy” near the bottom of the list.
      We regularly monitor the Forum and try to provide advice and
      information where we can.

      7 FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY AND OTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS:

      THIS WEEKEND!!!:
      * British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa (BIFHSGO) 2005
      Fall Conference
      September 23rd, 24th and 25th at the Library and Archives Canada
      building, 395 Wellington Street, Ottawa
      Featuring: Else Churchill, Genealogist, Society of Genealogists,
      London, England and as the “Don Whiteside Lecturer”: David Phillips,
      Senior Climatologist, Environment Canada, and media weather
      personality.
      Visit the web site at:
      <http://www.bifhsgo.ca/conference2005.htm> for more information, and to
      register.

      ARCHIVE CD BOOKS CANADA WILL BE IN THE MARKET PLACE WITH A SELECTION OF
      OVER 300 GREAT CD TITLES FROM OUR INTERNATIONAL CATALOGUE.
      WE’RE LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING ALL OUR FRIENDS AT THIS GREAT
      GATHERING.
      ----
      * NORFOLKLORE 2005, Genealogy Fair, Saturday SEPTEMBER 24th, 2005,
      SIMCOE, Ontario
      10 am- 4 pm
      TWO LOCATIONS:
      Junior Farmers Building, Norfolk County Fair Grounds, South Drive,
      Simcoe (Sales & Displays)
      Norfolk Heritage Centre at Eva Brook Donly Museum, 109 Norfolk St. S.,
      Simcoe
      For any of you who are or plan to be in Halifax on either the 25th or
      the 27th of this month you might find the following two items of
      interest:
      The first GANS Lecture of 2005/2006:
      Title: Using Probate Records for Genealogical Purposes
      Speaker: Sharron Atton, Registrar of Probate for Halifax County
      Date: Tuesday, 27 September 2005, Time: 7:30 p.m.
      Place: Akins A/V Room, Nova Scotia Archives & Records Management,
      Public Archives Site, 6016 University Avenue, Halifax. As usual, the
      lecture is free and open to the public.
      * Wellington County Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society invites
      you to a special meeting to be held at the Palmerston Railway Museum,
      161 William Street, Palmerston on September 27th, 2005 at 7:00 PM.
      Guest Speaker: Bob McEachern, Chair, Palmerston Railway Heritage
      Museum Association.
      Topic: RAILWAYS AND THE RURAL COMMUNITY
      For further information, please call AFTER Sept 5th, (519) 822-2475.
      * Genealogy Programs at the Maple Ridge Library (BC)
      This fall the Library is offering 3 free programs on this topic:
      First Steps on the Ancestral Trail on Wednesday, Sept 28 (speaker
      Brenda Smith)
      Organize - The Second Prime Directive on Wednesday, Nov 2 (speaker
      Brenda Smith)
      Finding Your Ancestors in England on Wednesday, Nov 30 (speaker Chris
      Longley).
      All presentations are from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. For more information or
      to reserve a seat please call the Main Floor Information desk at
      604-467-7417. There are brochures at the Library listing all the
      interesting programs we are offering this fall.
      _____________________________
      * The Kelowna & District Genealogy Society invite you and your members
      to attend our 2005 Seminar "Harvest Your Family Tree" to be held in
      Kelowna, B.C., Canada, on September 30, October 1, 2, 2005.  We have a
      selection of noted speakers from Scotland, England and Western Canada;
      something for everyone, whether you are just beginning or are a
      seasoned researcher. More information about early bird registration,
      seminar schedule and presenters is available on the Kelowna & District
      Genealogy website:
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~bckdgs/seminar2005.htm.%c2%a0%c2%a0
      Kind regards, Betty Maurice, Advertising Committee, 2005 Seminar -
      bjmaur@...
      The Orillia Museum of Art and History presents:
      The Underground Railroad and Ontario Black History Colloquium
      Did you know that one of Canada's first major experiences protecting
      people under political asylum happened immediately before and during
      the American Revolution? Canada was even then thought of as a land of
      cultural and racial acceptance as 40,000 black people escaped from the
      U.S. to find harbour in the Promised Land of Canada.
      Join the Orillia Museum of Art and History's Underground Railroad and
      Black History Colloquium on Saturday, November 5, 2005 from 9:00a.m. to
      4:00p.m. in the Simcoe Room of the Highwayman Inn. We will explore
      history and recent archaeological and genealogical discoveries that
      throw light on individual stories of heroism, escape and settlement in
      Canada.
      The colloquium features speakers including Rosemary Sadlier, President
      of the Ontario Black History Society and Dr. Karolyn Smardz Frost, an
      historian and archaeologist who specializes in the Underground
      Railroad. The day will conclude with a tour of the Welland Historical
      Museum's Passages to Freedom: Secrets of the Underground Railroad
      exhibition at OMAH.
      Tickets are $20 for members, $25 for non-members and $17 for students
      and are available at the Orillia Museum of Art and History, Spotlight
      and Manticore Books in Orillia. Cost includes a catered lunch and
      museum admission. Speakers will have publications available for
      purchase. For more information or for tickets, please call
      705-326-2159. Spaces are limited.
      DON’T FORGET WE CAN HELP YOUR GROUP TO SPREAD THE NEWS. E-MAIL US.

      8 PREVIOUSLY RELEASED BOOKS:
      Archives of this newsletter showing all the previous release
      announcements are available in the newsletter archive which can be
      reached through,
      <http://www.british-genealogy.com/pipermail/cdbooks-news-canada/>
      All our newly released books are listed on our web site in the New
      Releases and Special Offers page. Go to:
      <http://www.archivecdbooks.ca/new.html> for an instant update on our
      new products.

      Archive CD Books Canada Inc.
      Attn.: Malcolm Moody - President