Note about credit card use - Beware of automatic renewals

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2005
      Nature
      I would just like to let you know that in checking my credit card statement I received today, I noticed a charge from Ancestry.com. When I phoned them to ask what it was for I found out they did an automatic renewal on a trial subscription I took out on Genealogical Computing at the same time I ordered FTM 2005 last year. I only received 1 Genealogical Computing issue as a sample and did not sign up for any future subscriptions.

      The same thing happened with McAfee VirusScan. My subscription to VS was done even though I had a two-year history of complaining to them about the system not installing or updating properly.

      Neither sent me a notice before they charged my credit card that I had given them in the past for a specific (what I thought was a) one time use.

      So beware to whom you give your credit card and watch those credit card statements carefully. They give you a very hard time over refunding. I was asked why I wanted to cancel my subscription! After I already had told them - because I didn't order or authorize it!

      Xenia