RE: Childs Song of 1890's

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2005
      the original sender

      Hi Donna,

      It could be the song of that title by Joseph Philbrick Webster (born New
      Hampshire 1819 - died Wisconsin 1875) dated April, 1870. He was a prolific
      American song writer and many of his songs became church hymns. Apparently
      he wrote more than 1000 pieces. He also wrote "The Sweet By and By" (often
      credited to Sanford Fillmore Bennett, 1836-1898 but Bennett himself said
      Webster composed it but Bennett sang it for the first time since Webster
      could not), "Lorena", "The Golden Stair", "Bright Smiles", etc. His grave
      stone reads "Joseph P. Webster. In the Sweet By and By We Shall Meet".

      He started playing music and singing at the age of 10 and became a music
      teacher at age 20. At age 28 he lost his voice. After he lost his voice he
      devoted most of his time to writing music for others to sing. His song
      "Lorena" (a Civil War song) was part of the music score of "Gone with the
      Wind". He also accompanied singer Jenny Lind at the piano.

      I can find lyrics for some of his songs at
      http://www.pdmusic.org/webster.html but although "Beautiful Angels" is
      listed there, there are no lyrics given for it. However, with the name of
      the composer, you can probably track it down more easily.

      I remember many of his songs but I don't think I have the words to this one
      anymore. If I do find it, I will let you know privately but I thought I
      would post this to the list so if someone comes up with the same answer you
      won't have 20 messages all the same!

      à bientôt,

      http://www.knowmap.com/age/
      Scrapbooking & preservation techniques
      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564