Childs Song of 1890's

  • Donna Coulter
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2005
      the original sender

      Hello all;
      Can anyone help me to locate a song called "Beautiful Angels" I can't
      find it on Google.

      It is a song that my mother told me she sang on the train coming west in
      1898.
      Maybe it was an Anglican Sunday School song.

      It would be so nice to find. Thank you.
      Donna Coulter

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 22, 2005
        the original sender

        Hi Donna,

        It could be the song of that title by Joseph Philbrick Webster (born New
        Hampshire 1819 - died Wisconsin 1875) dated April, 1870. He was a prolific
        American song writer and many of his songs became church hymns. Apparently
        he wrote more than 1000 pieces. He also wrote "The Sweet By and By" (often
        credited to Sanford Fillmore Bennett, 1836-1898 but Bennett himself said
        Webster composed it but Bennett sang it for the first time since Webster
        could not), "Lorena", "The Golden Stair", "Bright Smiles", etc. His grave
        stone reads "Joseph P. Webster. In the Sweet By and By We Shall Meet".

        He started playing music and singing at the age of 10 and became a music
        teacher at age 20. At age 28 he lost his voice. After he lost his voice he
        devoted most of his time to writing music for others to sing. His song
        "Lorena" (a Civil War song) was part of the music score of "Gone with the
        Wind". He also accompanied singer Jenny Lind at the piano.

        I can find lyrics for some of his songs at
        http://www.pdmusic.org/webster.html but although "Beautiful Angels" is
        listed there, there are no lyrics given for it. However, with the name of
        the composer, you can probably track it down more easily.

        I remember many of his songs but I don't think I have the words to this one
        anymore. If I do find it, I will let you know privately but I thought I
        would post this to the list so if someone comes up with the same answer you
        won't have 20 messages all the same!

        à bientôt,

        http://www.knowmap.com/age/
        Scrapbooking & preservation techniques
        Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564