1891 census query

  • Linda Holdaway
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2005
      Hello,

      Re: the 1891 Census index as compiled by Clarence Davis on the AFHS web
      site, can anyone please tell me what the letters "a", "b", "c" etc.
      refer to?

      For example, if you take a look at the listings for "Davidson", you'll
      see the first three (Alexander, Elizabeth, and Mary) have an "a", "b",
      and "c", respectively, between the surname and first name.  I'm
      wondering what these letters represent.  They are in other names, as
      well.

      Thank you so much for your help.

      Linda Holdaway