FW: Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER Vol. 2, #4 - 16 August2005

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16 4:49 PM
      the original sender

      FYI

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Chairman
      Alberta Family Histories Society
      712-16th Ave NW,
      Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

      chairman@...
      www.afhs.ab.ca
      (403)214-1447

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Malcolm at ACDB-Canada [mailto:malcolm@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 12:18 AM
      To: chairman@...
      Subject: Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER Vol. 2, #4 - 16 August2005

      Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER V2#4 - 16 August 2005
      Contents:
      1 WELCOME
      2 WHAT’S IN THE NEWSLETTER
      3 NEW CANADIAN RELEASES (2)
      4 COMING SOON
      5 NEW RELEASES FROM OTHER PARTNERS
      British Census (1 )
      British Books ( 6 )
      6 NEWS & GOSSIP
      7 FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY AND OTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS
      8 PREVIOUSLY RELEASED BOOKS

      1 WELCOME:
      Welcome to the Archive CD Books Canada newsletter. This exceptional summer
      is moving right along and already we’re half way through August. Time to
      get to all those summer genealogy projects before the weather changes.

      This newsletter will be published whenever we have enough information to
      make it worth your while reading, but we expect that will mean there will be
      about one a month.

      Remember this Newsletter is published for you so if you think we’re missing
      something important drop me a line to Malcolm@....

      Newsletters work best when they get a good circulation. We’re doing our
      best to let people know about it but you could help us along by mentioning
      it to your genealogy buddies and generally spreading the word. Give them
      the URL

      and they can sign-up directly.

      You can also use this same address to manage your subscription and to access
      the archives.

      2 WHAT’S IN THE NEWSLETTER:
      A total of 9 new title releases in this newsletter.
      New releases from Archive CD Books Canada.
      New British Census on CD
      New British Books on CD
      News, Gossip, and more.

      3 NEW CANADIAN RELEASES:
      To find a book on our web site http://www.archivecdbooks.ca take a note of
      the catalogue number - or use the “copy” function - go to the web site,
      click on the “Search Page” link and enter, or “paste,” the number into the
      “Product Number” box. Hit “Search” and then “More” and you will be in a
      position to reread the description or to place your order.
      There is frequently more information about the books available on the web
      site. All prices in $Cdn.

      We frequently shorten a book’s description for this newsletter. Check our
      website catalogue for the full description.

      * On Canada's Frontier - 1892
      CA0109: $23.00
      Sketches of History, Sport, Adventure, Indians, Missionaries, Fur-Traders
      and Newer Settlers in Western Canada.

      This book originated
      as a series of articles for Harper's Magazine designed to bring the frontier
      experience to the Eastern townsfolk of the US. It records a number of
      adventures - over a three year period - and brings us a glimpse of backwoods
      life before it was changed forever by the advance of "civilization."

      The author, Julian Ralph, records his experience of the people he
      encounters, both those of European and of First Nations origins, as well as
      that of their life and surroundings.
      Julian manages to work the essential details into his narrative as well, so
      this book also provides many facts, in particular on the history, growth and
      importance of the Hudson's Bay Company. He gives detailed descriptions of
      how the company traded with the hunters and trappers and it's reaction to
      the few rival organizations such as the Northwest Company.

      The value of this book is greatly enhanced by the numerous (70) engraved
      illustrations supporting the narrative. Even better many of these
      illustrations are credited to Frederic Remington, the famous US artist who's
      powerful images of the "West" eventually bought him to worldwide popularity.

      The whole of the 325 page book has been formatted for text searches using
      the "Search" features of the freely available PDF interpreter programs such
      a Adobe Reader. The CD is useable with any computer with a CD drive and
      which can run a PDF interpreter application. We recommend Adobe Reader V4
      or later for maximum compatibility. There is a free sampler available on
      our downloads page.
      Description truncated. See web site for full description.

      * Lovell's Gazetteer of British North America - 1874
      CA0104: $28.00
      There's nothing I can say to describe the contents of this book which isn't
      already printed in it.
      The title page has: "Lovell's gazetteer of British North America:
      containing the latest and most authentic descriptions of over six thousand
      cities, towns and villages in the provinces of Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia,
      New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Manitoba, British
      Columbia, And The North West Territories; and general information, drawn
      from official sources, as to the names, locality, extent, etc., of over
      fifteen hundred lakes and rivers, table of routes, showing the proximity of
      the railroad stations, and sea, lake and river ports, to the cities, towns,
      villages, etc., in the several provinces."
      And the Preface contains: "The nature and extent of the labor involved in
      the preparation of this Gazetteer may be inferred from the fact that there
      are 6,000 Cities, Towns and Villages within the Dominion of Canada and
      Newfoundland; that each of the 6,000 had to be classed in alphabetical
      order; the geographical position described; the railway or steamboat
      connections, postal or telegraphic facilities, distance from important
      centers; also the manufacturing, mining, agricultural, shipbuilding and
      fishery industries; and the population, as far as it could possibly be
      obtained. Also, that the locality and extent of over 1,500 Lakes and Rivers
      had to be described.
      "This CD is formatted to be read by any of the freely available PDF
      interpreter applications although we recommend the use of Adobe Reader
      version 4 or better for maximum compatibility. It will run on any computer
      which can run a PDF interpreter and read standard CDs. We have formatted
      the CD for text searches although the original book was carefully designed
      to make all the information readily available through alphabetized listings.
      The addition of our "bookmarking" has improved this accessibility to the
      point where text searching should hardly be used. A "sampler" of pages
      extracted from the book is available on our Downloads page.

      4 COMING SOON:

      This one just missed the deadline: Toronto’s 100 Years 1834 - 1934: A
      commemoration of Toronto’s first 100 years of incorporation.
      We are presently also working on a large and really wonderful 2 volume book
      that you won’t want to miss. This book is in great demand by Canadian
      collectors and soon it can be yours for a fraction of the collectors book
      market price.
      We have been collecting a number of the wonderful County histories of
      Ontario and we plan to start publishing these as soon as we can.

      5 NEW RELEASES FROM OTHER PARTNERS:
      (All prices in $Cdn.)

      BRITISH CENSUS - NEW RELEASES:

      * 1861 Census - British Ships in Home Ports
      C1861SH3: $57.70
      RG9/4469-4540.

      7CD set.

      Ships in ports of all sizes in England and Wales

      .

      BRITISH BOOKS - NEW RELEASE:

      We frequently shorten a book’s description for this newsletter. Check our
      website catalogue for the full description.

      * English Surnames
      GB1373; $21.90

      Written by Mark Antony Lower and published in 1843 this book contains essays
      on historical origins and meanings of English surnames.

      SUPERB BOOK - ONE TO IMPRESS YOUR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBOURS WITH THE MEANINGS
      AND ORIGINS OF THEIR NAMES.
      Sections of the book include: History of English Surnames; Surnames derived
      from place names; from occupations and pursuits; from dignities, civil &
      ecclesiastical; from personal and mental qualities; surnames derived from
      Christian names; from natural objects and signs of houses; from social
      relations, and periods of age, time, etc.; surnames of contempt; (did you
      know that Gubbins was from the refuse parts of a fish?); surnames from
      virtues and abstract ideas; foreign names naturalised in England (and the
      USA) and the corruption to which such names have been exposed; how surnames
      change; and historically based surnames.
      ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING ! Also included is a list of Latinized names and the
      Roll of Battel Abbey. This is a list of the names of those supposed to have
      fought for William the Conqueror at The Battle of Hastings. This Roll
      comprises the three lists compiled by Leland, Holinshed and John Foxes.

      * The London Directory of 1677
      GB1369: $18.70
      The London Directory of 1677 is the oldest printed list of the Merchants &
      Bankers of London. Reprinted in 1878, and arranged alphabetically by
      surname.
      A charming description of the contents appears before the preface; "A
      collection of the names of the merchants living in and about the City of
      London; Very useful and necessary. Carefully collected for the benefit of
      all Dealers that shall have occasion with any of them; Directing them to at
      the first sight of their name, to the place of their abode. "Also contains
      a separate list of all of London's Goldsmiths in 1677.
      A book first published just a few years after the Great Fire of 1666.
      An absolute gem for historians and family history researchers. Fully
      searchable using Acrobat Reader.

      MAPS: A series of CDs providing really high quality digitised maps of the
      British Isles that you can zoom in on to see the finest detail.

      An incredibly useful resource!

      * Maps - Vol. 4 - Cheshire, Lancashire & Yorkshire
      GB0007-4: $21.90
      See our web site for a detailed list of the locations and dates of the maps
      included.

      * Maps - Vol. 5 - Cumberland, Durham, Northumberland & Westmorland
      GB0007-5: $21.90
      See our web site for a detailed list of the locations and dates of the maps
      included.

      * Maps - Vol. 6 - Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire & Lincolnshire
      GB0007-6: $21.90
      See our web site for a detailed list of the locations and dates of the maps
      included.

      * Maps - Vol. 7 - Staffordshire, Warwickshire & Worcestershire
      GB0007-7: $21.90
      See our web site for a detailed list of the locations and dates of the maps
      included.

      6 NEWS & GOSSIP:

      If any of you have genealogy related questions of a general nature - or
      something specifically related to Archive CD Books - we'd be glad to publish
      your question in this newsletter to tap into the enormous fund of knowledge
      which I know is out there.

      * ARCHIVE CD BOOKS USA:
      Look out for news soon.

      * CANADIAN 1911 CENSUS FORMS:
      After the release of the 1911 census there was a demand for forms by people
      who wanted to transcribe their parts of the census - both for their own
      purposes and so it can be submitted to the various bodies who are busy
      creating indexes.
      Archive CD Books Canada is pleased to host five forms of different types and
      in different formats for the 1911 census and two for the 1901. They can be
      found at the bottom of the Downloads page on our web site ready for you to
      grab the ones you want.
      Please join us in a hearty thanks to the wonderful people who gave their
      spare time to labor long and hard to produce these forms for your favorite
      pastime.

      * SPECIALS:
      Don’t forget to introduce your friends to our site so they can benefit from
      our current special. All new customers will receive a copy of our
      recently released “Manners and Rules of Good Society,” CA0009
      regularly: $19.00, absolutely free. This book holds the key to the social
      code of 100 + years ago. A great help in understanding the attitudes and
      actions of our ancestors.

      * NEW CANADIAN FORUM on British-Genealogy Forums site:
      Don’t forget the NEW FORUM for Canadian Genealogy discussions. You can go
      to it directly using the following URL :
      <http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=333>
      or if you want to navigate to it through the hierarchy you go through
      “Family History” - “Place Forums” and then you’ll find “Canada Genealogy”
      near the bottom of the list.
      We are glad to see you are taking advantage of this new forum and there are
      some interesting threads developing.

      7 FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY AND OTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS:

      The Charlotte County (NB) Archives, located in the Old Goal, will be opened
      during the following hours for this summer.
      Aug 1-31 Mon to Fri 9 am to 5 pm
      Charlotte County Archives, 123 Frederick Street, St. Andrews, NB, E5B
      1Z1
      Phone: 1-506-529-4248
      ---

      * BHCD Reunion August 27th. 2005 Rockingham, Halifax,NS British Home
      Children and Descendants Association will hold their 3rd annual reunion on
      August 27th, 2005 at the Rockingham United Church Hall, 12 Flamingo Dr.
      Rockingham, Halifax, NS. Registration 9.00.AM to 9.45AM.
      Special speaker will be Dr. Patricia Roberts-Pichette, British Isles Family
      History Society of Greater Ottawa, who will speak on conditions in Britain's
      industrial cities in the later 1800's - early 1900's.
      Highlight of the afternoon program will be the unveiling of an Interpretive
      Panel, in Rockingham Centennial Park, to honor John T Middlemore, to
      preserve the history of the " Fairview Home " Middlemore Distribution Centre
      and as a Memorial to all Middlemore children who came to Canada.
      For more information contact: Cecil Verge, phone: 902-681-6697, e-mail -
      willowcb@...
      ---
      BOOK YOUR TICKETS NOW FOR:
      * British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa (BIFHSGO) 2005 Fall
      Conference September 23rd, 24th and 25th at the Library and Archives Canada
      building, 395 Wellington Street, Ottawa
      Featuring: Else Churchill, Genealogist, Society of Genealogists, London,
      England and as the “Don Whiteside Lecturer”: David Phillips, Senior
      Climatologist, Environment Canada, and media weather personality.
      Visit the web site at:
      <http://www.bifhsgo.ca/conference2005.htm> for more information, and to
      register.

      WE’RE LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING ALL OUR FRIENDS AT THIS GREAT GATHERING.
      ----
      NORFOLKLORE 2005, Genealogy Fair, Saturday SEPTEMBER 24th, 2005, SIMCOE,
      Ontario 10 am-4pm TWO LOCATIONS:
      Junior Farmers Building, Norfolk County Fair Grounds, South Drive, Simcoe
      (Sales & Displays) Norfolk Heritage Centre at Eva Brook Donly Museum, 109
      Norfolk St.S., Simcoe

      ---
      Wellington County Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society invites you to
      a special meeting to be held at the Palmerston Railway Museum,
      161 William Street, Palmerston on September 27th, 2005 at 7:00 PM.
      Guest Speaker: Bob McEachern, Chair, Palmerston Railway Heritage Museum
      Association.
      Topic: RAILWAYS AND THE RURAL COMMUNITY For further information, please
      call AFTER Sept 5th, (519) 822-2475.

      * The Kelowna & District Genealogy Society invite you and your members to
      attend our 2005 Seminar "Harvest Your Family Tree" to be held in Kelowna,
      B.C., Canada, on September 30, October 1, 2, 2005.  We have a selection of
      noted speakers from Scotland, England and Western Canada; something for
      everyone, whether you are just beginning or are a seasoned researcher. More
      information about early bird registration, seminar schedule and presenters
      is available on the Kelowna & District Genealogy website:
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~bckdgs/seminar2005.htm.
      Kind regards, Betty Maurice, Advertising Committee, 2005 Seminar -
      bjmaur@...

      Don't forget we can help your group to spread the news. Send us an e-mail.

      8 PREVIOUSLY RELEASED BOOKS:
      Archives of this newsletter showing all the previous release announcements
      are available in the newsletter archive which can be reached through,
      <http://www.british-genealogy.com/pipermail/cdbooks-news-canada/>
      All our newly released books are listed on our web site in the New Releases
      and Special Offers page. Go to:
      <http://www.archivecdbooks.ca/new.html> for an instant update on our new
      products.

      Archive CD Books Canada Inc.