Calgary 1911 census downtown

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2005
      the original sender

      Calgary census districts downtown are east of 4th Street West rather than
      east of 1st Street West as shown on the Canadian Archives web site. For hard
      to read pages, it helpful to have the names of household members and street
      address handy. Sometimes I check the place of birth, age or occupation to
      see if a difficult name is one being searched.

      Currently making a searchable Excel file for each sub-district using the
      AFHS template. I can search for names in multiple files that way but haven't
      done any full page transcriptions at this stage.

      I'm going to start on sub-district 43/44 near Centre Street Bridge and Fort
      Calgary next. That area had a lot of rooming houses in 1906. Looking for
      Captain Deane who lived in the Deane House when it was on the Fort Calgary
      side of the Elbow.

      Glenbow web site has a number of pictures of homes of early settlers who
      lived in the block close to WH Cushing at 313-4th Ave West and Braemar
      Lodge. WH Cushing was mayor of Calgary in 1900 and in the Alberta Cabinet
      1905-1910. One of his brothers was indexed as Bushing in two copies of the
      1901 census index for Edmonton but that is a handwriting problem. Some
      pictures of Edmonton company offices are identified as Gushing. -- Elizabeth