PDF tool tip

  • Judith
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25, 2005

      Jut realized something nifty about my Acrobat reader – likely just available in version 7.

      Click on VIEW > TOOLBAR > and then turn on (check) the Zoom toolbar

      When you do this, you’ll have access to a “Loupe” – that’s the gadget that jewelers use between their eye and precious stones.  In this case, when you’ve slected the loupe tool and hover over a portion of a pdf file (census image of course), whatever you’re hovering over appear as a rectangular object hovering over the background – and become significantly enlarged.  Play around with it to change the zoom percentage.

      This is bound to be helpful in working with the new pdfs from the census.  You can fill your 17” or 19” monitor with the pdf file and then just hover over the portions that you’re skimming to find persons of interest.

      I’m inserting a screen shot below – but don’t know if it will remain in place when this e-mail gets filtered through the e-list software.

      Judith Rempel

      rempel@...

      and

      1906@...

      1906/11 Census of Canada Transcription Project, AFHS

      Alberta Family Histories Society

      www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906

      www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1911

    • Alastair Preston
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 25, 2005
        On Monday July 25 2005 09:18 pm, Judith wrote:
        > Jut realized something nifty about my Acrobat reader - likely just
        > available in version 7.
        >
        > Click on VIEW > TOOLBAR > and then turn on (check) the Zoom toolbar
        >
        > When you do this, you'll have access to a "Loupe" - that's the gadget that
        > jewelers use between their eye and precious stones. In this case, when
        > you've slected the loupe tool and hover over a portion of a pdf file
        > (census image of course), whatever you're hovering over appear as a
        > rectangular object hovering over the background - and become significantly
        > enlarged. Play around with it to change the zoom percentage.

        Hmmmmm. I'm using Adobe Reader 7.0. When I click on VIEW > TOOLBARS and check
        the Zoom toolbar, the only tools I see are Zoom in, Zoom out, dynamic zoom,
        and an option to display the zoom toolbar. No sign of a loupe tool. I'm
        wondering if that's that an add-on or a version specific thing?
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Judith
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26, 2005
          Hmm - perhaps it's only in the development version and not in the READER.
          But it sure makes sense for the Reader to have it.

          See:
          http://partners.adobe.com/public/asn/en/print_resource_center/AC7_PrintingGu
          ide.pdf - page 17

          Sorry to raise hopes/options that aren't actually available. I should have
          checked which aspect of Adobe PDF product I had open.

          Esp since the development software is pretty expensive - not a software for
          the average home user.

          Judith Rempel
          rempel@...

          On Monday July 25 2005 09:18 pm, Judith wrote:
          > Jut realized something nifty about my Acrobat reader - likely just
          > available in version 7.
          >
          > Click on VIEW > TOOLBAR > and then turn on (check) the Zoom toolbar
          >
          > When you do this, you'll have access to a "Loupe" - that's the gadget that
          > jewelers use between their eye and precious stones. In this case, when
          > you've slected the loupe tool and hover over a portion of a pdf file
          > (census image of course), whatever you're hovering over appear as a
          > rectangular object hovering over the background - and become significantly
          > enlarged. Play around with it to change the zoom percentage.

          Hmmmmm. I'm using Adobe Reader 7.0. When I click on VIEW > TOOLBARS and
          check
          the Zoom toolbar, the only tools I see are Zoom in, Zoom out, dynamic zoom,
          and an option to display the zoom toolbar. No sign of a loupe tool. I'm
          wondering if that's that an add-on or a version specific thing?

        • Keith Maitland
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 27, 2005
            It works quite well for me and I have a free version of adobe which I
            downloaded from the net.
            I'm using Mozilla so maybe that makes the difference.

            Keith

            Judith wrote:

            >Hmm - perhaps it's only in the development version and not in the READER.
            >But it sure makes sense for the Reader to have it.
            >
            >See:
            >http://partners.adobe.com/public/asn/en/print_resource_center/AC7_PrintingGu
            >ide.pdf - page 17
            >
            >Sorry to raise hopes/options that aren't actually available. I should have
            >checked which aspect of Adobe PDF product I had open.
            >
            >Esp since the development software is pretty expensive - not a software for
            >the average home user.
            >

            >Judith Rempel
            >rempel@...

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Alastair Preston
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 27, 2005
              On Wednesday July 27 2005 01:15 am, you wrote:
              > It works quite well for me and I have a free version of adobe which I
              > downloaded from the net.
              > I'm using Mozilla so maybe that makes the difference.
              >
              > Keith

              I've looked at the help file on my copy of Adobe Reader 7, and there's no
              mention of either the loupe tool or the pan and zoom tool mentioned in the
              AC7_Printing guide mentioned by Judith, nor do either show up when I expand
              the zoom or zoom tools menus.

              I can't see what the browser has to do with it - I've tried looking at files
              on my hard disk with the reader by itself and at downloaded files with
              Netscape calling the reader.

              I suspect it may be only available in certain versions of Adobe Reader 7.

              Alastair