Re: 1911 pdf's

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 25, 2005
      the original sender

      Found two households of husband's Peel family relatives in Sunalta #48 in
      the area north-west of the corner of 17th Ave and 14 Street SW. Modern maps
      show this area as Scarboro between the Bow River and Bankview.

      Bankview is south of 17th Ave beside the Alberta Children's Hospital and
      family history centre library where computer group meetings are held.

      I'll try to help others with 1911 census locations in the south part of
      Calgary if there is an indication of address or district from another source
      like 1911 Henderson directory. The census is in order by blocks rather than
      numbers in order by streets and avenues like a directory.

      Image quality (PDF) is a major disappointment for Calgary pages viewed so
      far. -- Elizabeth

    • E.Rodier
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 27, 2005
        the original sender

        Has anyone compared the clarity of PDF with MrSid for the same 1911 census
        page? Irfanview is easy to download but plugin for MrSid has a very slow
        connection today. Just found dynamic zoom in Adobe Reader 7 that wasn't in
        version 5.

        Can't see much difference myself between PDF and SID pages. I used MrSid for
        1906 census work and PDF for 1911 Calgary #48 Sunalta district. Are
        microfilm copies of census records any easier to read than online images?
        MrSid converted to TIF, cropped and printed made cleaner looking letter size
        pages for 1906 but a lot of extra work.

        A few names crossed out in sub-district #48 appear to be infants who died
        shortly before the census. Don't know (yet) if that is part of the official
        directions to census takers or just the method used by the census taker for
        #48 in Sunalta sub-district of Calgary.

        If anyone is looking for names in Sunalta-Scarboro (Bow River to 17th Ave
        South and west of 14th Street) I have guessed at about 1100 names in a quick
        Excel spreadsheet and copied more details for Peel, Brannon, Chappell and
        Barnecut households. Still looking for one Peel man listed in a 1911
        directory who had lived in the district 1909-1910.

        Scarboro street names replacing or in addition to numbers must have changed
        after 1911. Some of the unclear house numbers, streets and avenues had to be
        guessed or limited to ? question mark. -- Elizabeth

      • Lois Sparling
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 27, 2005
          the original sender

          Out of habit, I click on the Mr. Sid version of each census page but
          then select to view it without the Mr. Sid plug in. I assume this makes
          less demands on my computer. I have never had a problem with this so it
          is an option for everyone to consider if their first choice is too slow
          or acting up.

          Lois Sparling