RE: 1911 pdf's

  • Judith
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 25, 2005
      Message

      J       This is why volunteers transcribe the handwritten records.  AFHS was THE leader in Canada for the 1906 Census transcription work and we’re taking on the Alberta work.

      So … once the files are reliably on line we’re looking for volunteers!   Some details on our 1911 census site (url below) already - more to follow.

      Judith Rempel

      rempel@...

      and

      1906@...

      1906 Census of Canada Transcription Project, AFHS

      Alberta Family Histories Society

      www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906

      www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1911

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 25, 2005
        Message
        I will be glad to volunteer my time when my 13 year old, my 15 year old and soon to be 17 year old stop taking all my money and using up all of my time, I help where I can

        Could some clever person give assistance, what method should I be using to search the PDF file ? I click on my search icon and ask to search under a surname with no result. However the surname is evident. Query two can we search all the Calgary 1911 census for a surname ?

        Ernie Ross

      • E.Rodier
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 25, 2005
          the original sender

          Found two households of husband's Peel family relatives in Sunalta #48 in
          the area north-west of the corner of 17th Ave and 14 Street SW. Modern maps
          show this area as Scarboro between the Bow River and Bankview.

          Bankview is south of 17th Ave beside the Alberta Children's Hospital and
          family history centre library where computer group meetings are held.

          I'll try to help others with 1911 census locations in the south part of
          Calgary if there is an indication of address or district from another source
          like 1911 Henderson directory. The census is in order by blocks rather than
          numbers in order by streets and avenues like a directory.

          Image quality (PDF) is a major disappointment for Calgary pages viewed so
          far. -- Elizabeth

        • E.Rodier
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 27, 2005
            the original sender

            Has anyone compared the clarity of PDF with MrSid for the same 1911 census
            page? Irfanview is easy to download but plugin for MrSid has a very slow
            connection today. Just found dynamic zoom in Adobe Reader 7 that wasn't in
            version 5.

            Can't see much difference myself between PDF and SID pages. I used MrSid for
            1906 census work and PDF for 1911 Calgary #48 Sunalta district. Are
            microfilm copies of census records any easier to read than online images?
            MrSid converted to TIF, cropped and printed made cleaner looking letter size
            pages for 1906 but a lot of extra work.

            A few names crossed out in sub-district #48 appear to be infants who died
            shortly before the census. Don't know (yet) if that is part of the official
            directions to census takers or just the method used by the census taker for
            #48 in Sunalta sub-district of Calgary.

            If anyone is looking for names in Sunalta-Scarboro (Bow River to 17th Ave
            South and west of 14th Street) I have guessed at about 1100 names in a quick
            Excel spreadsheet and copied more details for Peel, Brannon, Chappell and
            Barnecut households. Still looking for one Peel man listed in a 1911
            directory who had lived in the district 1909-1910.

            Scarboro street names replacing or in addition to numbers must have changed
            after 1911. Some of the unclear house numbers, streets and avenues had to be
            guessed or limited to ? question mark. -- Elizabeth

          • Lois Sparling
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 27, 2005
              the original sender

              Out of habit, I click on the Mr. Sid version of each census page but
              then select to view it without the Mr. Sid plug in. I assume this makes
              less demands on my computer. I have never had a problem with this so it
              is an option for everyone to consider if their first choice is too slow
              or acting up.

              Lois Sparling