1911 pdf's

  • Ernie Ross
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 25, 2005
      Message
      Hi Group,

      Could some clever person give assistance, what method should I be using to search the PDF file ? I click on my search icon and ask to search under a surname with no result. However the surname is evident. Query two can we search all the Calgary 1911 census for a surname ?

      Ernie Ross

    • Robert Boynton
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 25, 2005
        Message
        ERnie

        I did not have any luck with the PDF files and the
        Mr Sid did not work very well until  like the dummy I am, go back to the Census instruction format and properly download Mr. Sid, and then it works great!.

        You cannot search by the names of people, you have to find them.  If you are looking in Calgary, you will save a lot of time and go to a 1911 Directory at the Glenbow or the Castell Library firs and get an address for them, if they are listed.  There are also voting lists at the Castell and the City of Calgary Archives.  In some of the Voting lists as well as their address, you can find the Ward they are in.

        Robert
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 25, 2005
          Message

          J       This is why volunteers transcribe the handwritten records.  AFHS was THE leader in Canada for the 1906 Census transcription work and we’re taking on the Alberta work.

          So … once the files are reliably on line we’re looking for volunteers!   Some details on our 1911 census site (url below) already - more to follow.

          Judith Rempel

          rempel@...

          and

          1906@...

          1906 Census of Canada Transcription Project, AFHS

          Alberta Family Histories Society

          www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906

          www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1911

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 25, 2005
            Message
            I will be glad to volunteer my time when my 13 year old, my 15 year old and soon to be 17 year old stop taking all my money and using up all of my time, I help where I can

            Could some clever person give assistance, what method should I be using to search the PDF file ? I click on my search icon and ask to search under a surname with no result. However the surname is evident. Query two can we search all the Calgary 1911 census for a surname ?

            Ernie Ross

          • E.Rodier
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 25, 2005
              the original sender

              Found two households of husband's Peel family relatives in Sunalta #48 in
              the area north-west of the corner of 17th Ave and 14 Street SW. Modern maps
              show this area as Scarboro between the Bow River and Bankview.

              Bankview is south of 17th Ave beside the Alberta Children's Hospital and
              family history centre library where computer group meetings are held.

              I'll try to help others with 1911 census locations in the south part of
              Calgary if there is an indication of address or district from another source
              like 1911 Henderson directory. The census is in order by blocks rather than
              numbers in order by streets and avenues like a directory.

              Image quality (PDF) is a major disappointment for Calgary pages viewed so
              far. -- Elizabeth

            • E.Rodier
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 27, 2005
                the original sender

                Has anyone compared the clarity of PDF with MrSid for the same 1911 census
                page? Irfanview is easy to download but plugin for MrSid has a very slow
                connection today. Just found dynamic zoom in Adobe Reader 7 that wasn't in
                version 5.

                Can't see much difference myself between PDF and SID pages. I used MrSid for
                1906 census work and PDF for 1911 Calgary #48 Sunalta district. Are
                microfilm copies of census records any easier to read than online images?
                MrSid converted to TIF, cropped and printed made cleaner looking letter size
                pages for 1906 but a lot of extra work.

                A few names crossed out in sub-district #48 appear to be infants who died
                shortly before the census. Don't know (yet) if that is part of the official
                directions to census takers or just the method used by the census taker for
                #48 in Sunalta sub-district of Calgary.

                If anyone is looking for names in Sunalta-Scarboro (Bow River to 17th Ave
                South and west of 14th Street) I have guessed at about 1100 names in a quick
                Excel spreadsheet and copied more details for Peel, Brannon, Chappell and
                Barnecut households. Still looking for one Peel man listed in a 1911
                directory who had lived in the district 1909-1910.

                Scarboro street names replacing or in addition to numbers must have changed
                after 1911. Some of the unclear house numbers, streets and avenues had to be
                guessed or limited to ? question mark. -- Elizabeth

              • Lois Sparling
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 27, 2005
                  the original sender

                  Out of habit, I click on the Mr. Sid version of each census page but
                  then select to view it without the Mr. Sid plug in. I assume this makes
                  less demands on my computer. I have never had a problem with this so it
                  is an option for everyone to consider if their first choice is too slow
                  or acting up.

                  Lois Sparling