Re: Calgary's Population in 1906 vs 1911

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2005
      the original sender

      Does anyone have a 1911 street map showing east Calgary? Some of the 1911
      street addresses do not match up with modern Calgary maps or my 1891 rolled
      map.

      Statistics are interesting but I was thinking of the simple increase in
      number of sub-districts for "downtown" Calgary census from 4 to many. There
      was a big increase in land area of Calgary after 1906.

      Small homes on large downtown Calgary lots with a few cows and horses were
      replaced by larger homes, businesses and rooming houses with many boarders.
      Some of the street names and house numbers changed after the publication of
      early city directories. Sub-district 54 starts off with a hotel that appears
      to have the address 931-12 St. E which might be near the present 12th Street
      entrance to the Calgary zoo.

      The side of the street will make a difference to the census sub-districts
      which are divided by BLOCKS. Thus #54 is the south side of 9th Ave and east
      of the Elbow River. Most of Calgary had named streets & avenues on the 1891
      map with the block numbers.

      14th Street and 17th Avenue SW intersection manhole is still a marker for
      survey references according to a retired street construction engineer. That
      was the SW corner of Calgary in 1906. Bow River was the north edge of the
      city in 1906. Remember what a time we had finding names of those who lived
      north of the Bow River in 1906? -- Elizabeth