Re: CPC position on census bill

  • Al King
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2005
      the original sender

      When Lois Sparling sent her email on June 17 stating that the Conservatives
      tried to amend the bill I immediately contacted my MP, Jason Kenney. Here's
      the reply from his office on what actually happened.

      Al King
      ----------
      From: "Kenney, Jason - Assistant 1" <KenneJ0@...>
      Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:57:46 -0400
      To: <kingal@...>
      Subject: RE: betrayal

      Dear Mr. King,

      On behalf of Jason I wanted to follow-up on these e-mails regarding the
      census.

      Here is the situation that Lois Sparling made reference to:

      One of our MPs, Werner Schmidt, moved an amendment to the Census legislation
      during Committee. The amendment did not make it out of Committee (everyone
      else voted against it, including our Industry Critic, James Rajotte).

      Sparling's reaction is disappointing, especially given our long-standing
      support on this issue.

      The amendment did not slow down the bill, and quite frankly the situation
      really reflects our free speech and free vote policy in this party,
      especially for backbench members.

      We gave the bill unanimous consent to pass in one day. I would defy Ms.
      Sparling to find one CPC MP who voted against this legislation in the House.

      Sincerely,

      Bryan Rogers
      Executive Assistant