Re: WW1 CANADIAN SOLDIERS

  • Mary Joan Cornett
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 19, 2005
      the original sender

      Hi Ann

      I sent to Ottawa in 2000 to get WWI papers for my grandfather's brother.
      First I found him in the attestation papers on the Canada Archives website.
      You can do a search at this site:

      http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020106_e.html

      Then I filled in a form and sent $20. They sent the papers and refunded me
      some of the money. The form is no longer in use. You just fill in a
      genealogy request form. It's explained on this page:

      http://www.genealogy.gc.ca/10/100906_e.html

      Good luck.

      Mary Joan

      Mary Joan Cornett
      jmj1@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 19, 2005
        the original sender

        The full papers are not on the web. The process is outlined on the web-site.
        Basically they will copy and post the files for an advance payment of $40.
        If the copying doesn't use that up, they will send you a rebate with your
        copies.

        Note that you can get 2 or 3 persons done for well under the $40. I did...

        Be sure to ask for the full records including medical etc. The material on
        the web is
        only a tiny part of the whole file.

        Regards;
        Gary