Re: WW1 CANADIAN SOLDIERS

  • OJ Zawalsky
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 19, 2005
      the original sender

      I got Attestation papers for two grandfathers and regimental numbers for
      several other relatives off the <archives.ca> website at no cost Does any
      one know the procedure for getting full military records? Can they be
      ordered on the website? O. J. Zawalsky
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 19, 2005
        the original sender

        Hi Ann

        I sent to Ottawa in 2000 to get WWI papers for my grandfather's brother.
        First I found him in the attestation papers on the Canada Archives website.
        You can do a search at this site:

        http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020106_e.html

        Then I filled in a form and sent $20. They sent the papers and refunded me
        some of the money. The form is no longer in use. You just fill in a
        genealogy request form. It's explained on this page:

        http://www.genealogy.gc.ca/10/100906_e.html

        Good luck.

        Mary Joan

        Mary Joan Cornett
        jmj1@...
        > Please note that your reply will now only go to
        > the original sender
        >

        > I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who has obtained records
        > of WW1 soldiers from the Canadian National Archives.
        >
        > Ann Williams
        > AFHS Member
        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        >
        > http://www.family-roots.ca

      • The Gauthiers
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 19, 2005
          the original sender

          The full papers are not on the web. The process is outlined on the web-site.
          Basically they will copy and post the files for an advance payment of $40.
          If the copying doesn't use that up, they will send you a rebate with your
          copies.

          Note that you can get 2 or 3 persons done for well under the $40. I did...

          Be sure to ask for the full records including medical etc. The material on
          the web is
          only a tiny part of the whole file.

          Regards;
          Gary