Re: WW1 CANADIAN SOLDIERS

  • fredastewart
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 19, 2005
      the original sender

      Hi Ann - I have been able to receive copies of my gr.uncle's Attestation
      Papers - is this what you mean? This was done with absolutely no problem. I
      think there is a cost but it was minimal.
      Freda Stewart
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 19, 2005
        the original sender

        I got Attestation papers for two grandfathers and regimental numbers for
        several other relatives off the <archives.ca> website at no cost Does any
        one know the procedure for getting full military records? Can they be
        ordered on the website? O. J. Zawalsky
        > Please note that your reply will now only go to
        > the original sender
        >

        > Hi Ann - I have been able to receive copies of my gr.uncle's Attestation
        > Papers - is this what you mean? This was done with absolutely no problem.
        > I think there is a cost but it was minimal.
        > Freda Stewart

      • Mary Joan Cornett
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 19, 2005
          the original sender

          Hi Ann

          I sent to Ottawa in 2000 to get WWI papers for my grandfather's brother.
          First I found him in the attestation papers on the Canada Archives website.
          You can do a search at this site:

          http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020106_e.html

          Then I filled in a form and sent $20. They sent the papers and refunded me
          some of the money. The form is no longer in use. You just fill in a
          genealogy request form. It's explained on this page:

          http://www.genealogy.gc.ca/10/100906_e.html

          Good luck.

          Mary Joan

          Mary Joan Cornett
          jmj1@...
          > Please note that your reply will now only go to
          > the original sender
          >

          > I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who has obtained records
          > of WW1 soldiers from the Canadian National Archives.
          >
          > Ann Williams
          > AFHS Member
          > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          >
          > http://www.family-roots.ca

        • The Gauthiers
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 19, 2005
            the original sender

            The full papers are not on the web. The process is outlined on the web-site.
            Basically they will copy and post the files for an advance payment of $40.
            If the copying doesn't use that up, they will send you a rebate with your
            copies.

            Note that you can get 2 or 3 persons done for well under the $40. I did...

            Be sure to ask for the full records including medical etc. The material on
            the web is
            only a tiny part of the whole file.

            Regards;
            Gary