WW1 CANADIAN SOLDIERS

  • ANN WILLIAMS
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 18, 2005
      the original sender

      I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who has obtained records
      of WW1 soldiers from the Canadian National Archives.

      Ann Williams
      AFHS Member

    • fredastewart
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 19, 2005
        the original sender

        Hi Ann - I have been able to receive copies of my gr.uncle's Attestation
        Papers - is this what you mean? This was done with absolutely no problem. I
        think there is a cost but it was minimal.
        Freda Stewart
        > Please note that your reply will now only go to
        > the original sender
        >

        > I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who has obtained records
        > of WW1 soldiers from the Canadian National Archives.
        >
        > Ann Williams
        > AFHS Member
        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        >
        > http://www.family-roots.ca

      • OJ Zawalsky
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 19, 2005
          the original sender

          I got Attestation papers for two grandfathers and regimental numbers for
          several other relatives off the <archives.ca> website at no cost Does any
          one know the procedure for getting full military records? Can they be
          ordered on the website? O. J. Zawalsky
          > Please note that your reply will now only go to
          > the original sender
          >

          > Hi Ann - I have been able to receive copies of my gr.uncle's Attestation
          > Papers - is this what you mean? This was done with absolutely no problem.
          > I think there is a cost but it was minimal.
          > Freda Stewart

        • Mary Joan Cornett
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 19, 2005
            the original sender

            Hi Ann

            I sent to Ottawa in 2000 to get WWI papers for my grandfather's brother.
            First I found him in the attestation papers on the Canada Archives website.
            You can do a search at this site:

            http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020106_e.html

            Then I filled in a form and sent $20. They sent the papers and refunded me
            some of the money. The form is no longer in use. You just fill in a
            genealogy request form. It's explained on this page:

            http://www.genealogy.gc.ca/10/100906_e.html

            Good luck.

            Mary Joan

            Mary Joan Cornett
            jmj1@...
            > Please note that your reply will now only go to
            > the original sender
            >

            > I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who has obtained records
            > of WW1 soldiers from the Canadian National Archives.
            >
            > Ann Williams
            > AFHS Member
            > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            >
            > http://www.family-roots.ca

          • The Gauthiers
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 19, 2005
              the original sender

              The full papers are not on the web. The process is outlined on the web-site.
              Basically they will copy and post the files for an advance payment of $40.
              If the copying doesn't use that up, they will send you a rebate with your
              copies.

              Note that you can get 2 or 3 persons done for well under the $40. I did...

              Be sure to ask for the full records including medical etc. The material on
              the web is
              only a tiny part of the whole file.

              Regards;
              Gary