Divorce Certificates in England

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2005
      the original sender

      As I have been researching how to get a divorce record from England I
      thought I would share what I have found out. I have a copy of a document
      explaining how to order the certificate and if anyone wants it please e-mail
      me directly. Cost is 20 Pounds for each 10 year period searched.

      Decree Absolute Search Section in the Principal Registry of the Family
      Division holds a central index of all Decree Absolute granted in England and
      Wales from 1858 to date.

      If your divorce took place in England or Wales, the record is held by the
      Principal Registry of the Family Division.
      They will search their archives and issue a divorce certificate upon
      request.
      If the record is not held in the Principal Divorce Registry, the applicant
      will be notified of the address of the appropriate County Court from which
      to obtain the record.
      Please contact the Principal Registry for further instructions:
      The Principal Registry of the Family Division
      First Avenue House 42-49 High Holborn
      London WC1V 6NP
      United Kingdom
      -- Phone (The Division Manager): +44 (0) 20 7947 7951
      Phone: +44 (0) 20 7947 6051
      Phone: +44 (0) 20 7936 6000
      Fax: +44 (0) 20 7947 6995

      In case the divorce was granted in Northern Ireland, please refer to this
      office:
      Probate and Matrimonial Office, Family Division Royal Courts of Justice
      Chichester Street
      Belfast BT1 3JF
      United Kingdom
      -- Phone: +44 (0) 28 9023 5111

      In case that the divorce took place in Scotland, things are a bit more
      complicated since seperate divorce records were not introduced in Scotland
      before 1984. Nevertheless, divorces before that date were recorded as part
      of the marriage records, and divorce certificates based upon those extracts
      will be issued upon request.
      To get detailed information on how to proceed, refer to:
      Extractor of the Court of Session
      2 Parliament Square
      Edinburgh EH1 1RQ
      United Kingdom