Re: census release

  • fredastewart
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2005
      the original sender

      Hi Lois - yes you are right about being duped Lois. I watched the CPAC
      broadcast when Werner Schmidt stood and spouted off with info from I do not
      know where. He and a chap named Tilson from Ontario both bandied the term
      'tombstone info' about ad nauseum, and it was obvious they had not done
      their homework, or more correctly had not consulted with anyone from the
      genealogy community. They were totally disgusting, all but Ken Epp.
      Freda
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 12, 2007
        See the article in the online version of the Globe and Mail for Sept.
        12, 2007 "Historically Speaking, the Census Represents Us" by Eric Sager.

        The census debate is heating up again. As you may recall, we pried
        loose the 1906 and 1911 national census of Canada from a VERY reluctant
        Statistics Canada, but at a cost. The legislation which freed up the
        historic census after 92 years, to and including the 2001 census, also
        closed all future census forever unless the person filling in the census
        return for a particular household checked off a box consenting (on
        behalf of the whole household) to that census return being made
        available to researchers in 92 years. Since alot of households did not
        tick off the consent box for the eventual release of their 2006 census
        return, 2006 is essentially lost forever. Needless to say, Statistics
        Canada cannot possibly change its forms for 2011 so that census is
        presumably lost, as well. (Funny that Statistics Canada could add the
        consent provision and box to check off very quickly but cannot remove it
        with out years and years of advance notice; but I digress).
        This whole thing about each household having to consent to the release
        of its census return is to be reviewed after the 2011 census is taken.
        However those of us who believe that the census should be preserved in
        its entirety as an historical document and made available to researchers
        in due course believe that it should be reviewed as soon as possible to
        save the 2011 and 2016 census. We know from experience who we are
        dealing with and the lengths it/they will go to in order to prevail.

        Eric Sager, a professor of history at U Vic, presents the case that the
        census is an unique and invaluable historical document if preserved and
        released in its entirety. His article reflects the belief of the
        history professors on Our Side that the genealogical community is key to
        persuading the government of the righteousness of our cause. The family
        history community believes that the history professors are the key to
        success because they attract greater respect than we do. It doesn't
        matter who is right. What is important is that we keep after the
        government about this.
        Please keep yourselves informed. If you do not know much about the
        census issue, check out past article by Gordon Watts online at the
        Global Genealogy web site or my articles and announcements on the
        Alberta Family Histories Society web site. There is also a Canada
        Census Campaign mailing list through rootsweb which will perk up again
        when our campaign moves into actively lobbying our Members of Parliament
        again.

        Lois Sparling