census release

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2005
      the original sender

      Is this a huge misunderstanding? The talk is that the Conservative
      Party tried to amend Bill S-18 in Committee to limit release of
      information from the historic census to birth date, death date and ate
      of immigration - their interpretation of that dangerous phrase
      "tombstone information". If this is the case we have been duped and
      betrayed by our own Calgary MPs. I, for one, want a clear answer from
      my own MP, Stephen Harper and our alleged champion in the House, Jason
      Kenny. Was this one Conservative MP acting against party policy or not?

      Lois Sparling

    • fredastewart
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16, 2005
        the original sender

        Hi Lois - yes you are right about being duped Lois. I watched the CPAC
        broadcast when Werner Schmidt stood and spouted off with info from I do not
        know where. He and a chap named Tilson from Ontario both bandied the term
        'tombstone info' about ad nauseum, and it was obvious they had not done
        their homework, or more correctly had not consulted with anyone from the
        genealogy community. They were totally disgusting, all but Ken Epp.
        Freda
        > Please note that your reply will now only go to
        > the original sender
        >

        > Is this a huge misunderstanding? The talk is that the Conservative Party
        > tried to amend Bill S-18 in Committee to limit release of information from
        > the historic census to birth date, death date and ate of immigration -
        > their interpretation of that dangerous phrase "tombstone information". If
        > this is the case we have been duped and betrayed by our own Calgary MPs.
        > I, for one, want a clear answer from my own MP, Stephen Harper and our
        > alleged champion in the House, Jason Kenny. Was this one Conservative MP
        > acting against party policy or not?
        >
        > Lois Sparling
        >
        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        >
        > http://www.family-roots.ca

      • Lois Sparling
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 12, 2007
          See the article in the online version of the Globe and Mail for Sept.
          12, 2007 "Historically Speaking, the Census Represents Us" by Eric Sager.

          The census debate is heating up again. As you may recall, we pried
          loose the 1906 and 1911 national census of Canada from a VERY reluctant
          Statistics Canada, but at a cost. The legislation which freed up the
          historic census after 92 years, to and including the 2001 census, also
          closed all future census forever unless the person filling in the census
          return for a particular household checked off a box consenting (on
          behalf of the whole household) to that census return being made
          available to researchers in 92 years. Since alot of households did not
          tick off the consent box for the eventual release of their 2006 census
          return, 2006 is essentially lost forever. Needless to say, Statistics
          Canada cannot possibly change its forms for 2011 so that census is
          presumably lost, as well. (Funny that Statistics Canada could add the
          consent provision and box to check off very quickly but cannot remove it
          with out years and years of advance notice; but I digress).
          This whole thing about each household having to consent to the release
          of its census return is to be reviewed after the 2011 census is taken.
          However those of us who believe that the census should be preserved in
          its entirety as an historical document and made available to researchers
          in due course believe that it should be reviewed as soon as possible to
          save the 2011 and 2016 census. We know from experience who we are
          dealing with and the lengths it/they will go to in order to prevail.

          Eric Sager, a professor of history at U Vic, presents the case that the
          census is an unique and invaluable historical document if preserved and
          released in its entirety. His article reflects the belief of the
          history professors on Our Side that the genealogical community is key to
          persuading the government of the righteousness of our cause. The family
          history community believes that the history professors are the key to
          success because they attract greater respect than we do. It doesn't
          matter who is right. What is important is that we keep after the
          government about this.
          Please keep yourselves informed. If you do not know much about the
          census issue, check out past article by Gordon Watts online at the
          Global Genealogy web site or my articles and announcements on the
          Alberta Family Histories Society web site. There is also a Canada
          Census Campaign mailing list through rootsweb which will perk up again
          when our campaign moves into actively lobbying our Members of Parliament
          again.

          Lois Sparling