census release campaign

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
      the original sender

      Bill S-18, the proposed legislation to ensure release of the historic
      census from 1911 to and including 2001 after 92 years , is still stuck
      in the House of Commons waiting for second reading.

      Lois Sparling

    • Lois Sparling
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 9, 2008
        Remember the census release campaign? Remember those petitions we
        signed and then signed again? Remember Beatty et al vs Statistics
        Canada? Remember the surprise release of the 1906 census online by the
        National Archives? Senator Milne has written her account of that long
        campaign to rescue the 1906 and 1911 from the Chief Statistician, Dr.
        Fellegi (and 1916 census should be released this year). Read all about
        the back room politics in her lengthy and detailed story at her web
        site: http://www.sen.parl.gc.ca/lmilne/Default.asp

        Phew, what an effort! Her focus is on what went on in Parliament to
        turn our petitions, emails and Federal Court challenges into
        legislation. She mercifully leaves out the fact that I lost the second
        Federal Court case. Of course, she does not know about our chats with
        Calgary Reform/ Alliance/ Conservative MPs, especially the alternate
        arrangements to get amendments in the House of Commons to the first,
        quite unacceptable government bill for the release of the census returns
        to the public, or the explanation we received from Jason Kenny about the
        Conservative MP who presented unfriendly amendments at one point to ruin
        the second, better government bill.

        There is still the problem of the "opt in" tick box on the 2006 and
        upcoming 2011 census returns, requiring everyone to give allegedly
        informed consent to the public release of their household's census
        return 92 years from hence. And what has happened to the release of the
        1916 census? 1916 + 92 = 2008

        Lois Sparling

        Scanned by iolo AntiVirus 1.5.3.5
        http://www.iolo.com