census release

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 5 , May 19, 2005
      the original sender

      Bill S-18 is on the Order of Business for tomorrow morning for 2nd reading.

      Lois Sparling

    • Lois Sparling
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16, 2005
        the original sender

        Is this a huge misunderstanding? The talk is that the Conservative
        Party tried to amend Bill S-18 in Committee to limit release of
        information from the historic census to birth date, death date and ate
        of immigration - their interpretation of that dangerous phrase
        "tombstone information". If this is the case we have been duped and
        betrayed by our own Calgary MPs. I, for one, want a clear answer from
        my own MP, Stephen Harper and our alleged champion in the House, Jason
        Kenny. Was this one Conservative MP acting against party policy or not?

        Lois Sparling

      • fredastewart
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16, 2005
          the original sender

          Hi Lois - yes you are right about being duped Lois. I watched the CPAC
          broadcast when Werner Schmidt stood and spouted off with info from I do not
          know where. He and a chap named Tilson from Ontario both bandied the term
          'tombstone info' about ad nauseum, and it was obvious they had not done
          their homework, or more correctly had not consulted with anyone from the
          genealogy community. They were totally disgusting, all but Ken Epp.
          Freda
          > Please note that your reply will now only go to
          > the original sender
          >

          > Is this a huge misunderstanding? The talk is that the Conservative Party
          > tried to amend Bill S-18 in Committee to limit release of information from
          > the historic census to birth date, death date and ate of immigration -
          > their interpretation of that dangerous phrase "tombstone information". If
          > this is the case we have been duped and betrayed by our own Calgary MPs.
          > I, for one, want a clear answer from my own MP, Stephen Harper and our
          > alleged champion in the House, Jason Kenny. Was this one Conservative MP
          > acting against party policy or not?
          >
          > Lois Sparling
          >
          > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          >
          > http://www.family-roots.ca

        • Lois Sparling
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 12, 2007
            See the article in the online version of the Globe and Mail for Sept.
            12, 2007 "Historically Speaking, the Census Represents Us" by Eric Sager.

            The census debate is heating up again. As you may recall, we pried
            loose the 1906 and 1911 national census of Canada from a VERY reluctant
            Statistics Canada, but at a cost. The legislation which freed up the
            historic census after 92 years, to and including the 2001 census, also
            closed all future census forever unless the person filling in the census
            return for a particular household checked off a box consenting (on
            behalf of the whole household) to that census return being made
            available to researchers in 92 years. Since alot of households did not
            tick off the consent box for the eventual release of their 2006 census
            return, 2006 is essentially lost forever. Needless to say, Statistics
            Canada cannot possibly change its forms for 2011 so that census is
            presumably lost, as well. (Funny that Statistics Canada could add the
            consent provision and box to check off very quickly but cannot remove it
            with out years and years of advance notice; but I digress).
            This whole thing about each household having to consent to the release
            of its census return is to be reviewed after the 2011 census is taken.
            However those of us who believe that the census should be preserved in
            its entirety as an historical document and made available to researchers
            in due course believe that it should be reviewed as soon as possible to
            save the 2011 and 2016 census. We know from experience who we are
            dealing with and the lengths it/they will go to in order to prevail.

            Eric Sager, a professor of history at U Vic, presents the case that the
            census is an unique and invaluable historical document if preserved and
            released in its entirety. His article reflects the belief of the
            history professors on Our Side that the genealogical community is key to
            persuading the government of the righteousness of our cause. The family
            history community believes that the history professors are the key to
            success because they attract greater respect than we do. It doesn't
            matter who is right. What is important is that we keep after the
            government about this.
            Please keep yourselves informed. If you do not know much about the
            census issue, check out past article by Gordon Watts online at the
            Global Genealogy web site or my articles and announcements on the
            Alberta Family Histories Society web site. There is also a Canada
            Census Campaign mailing list through rootsweb which will perk up again
            when our campaign moves into actively lobbying our Members of Parliament
            again.

            Lois Sparling