RE: Western boundary of Lower Canada

    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2005
      the original sender

      Hi Joan,

      Most people including Canadians know little about Canada's history and
      changing borders. Here from my presentation - Lost in the Canadas: Borders &
      Boundaries From Terra Incognito to the Dominion of Canada (which I have
      presented to AFHS as well as other organizations) are some important facts.

      The term Canada (first called this in documents in 1534) existed long before
      the term Quebec was assigned to any part of Canada. Quebec was established
      as a town in 1608 by Champlain. It became the main seat of government but
      there were other regional districts. Quebec was the superior seat but was
      not the term for all the French territories. Canada is shown as a Province
      of New France and Quebec is shown as a ville (town).

      From these times to 1713 the French continued to claim territory so that it
      extended as far as Hudson's Bay in the north to the tip of Louisiana in the
      south, as far east as Florida and as far west as the Rockies in the north
      and Rio Grande in the south. From the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713 to the
      Treaty of Paris in 1763 to War of 1812 (settled by the Treaty of Ghent 1814)
      to the 1903 Alaskan Panhandle settlement, the erosion of Canada continued.

      However, the information most pertinent to you is as follows:
      1763 Royal Proclamation new British government named former French
      territories “Province of Quebec” - included area to Ohio & Mississippi
      Rivers. First time Quebec is used as name for "Province". French were
      guaranteed rights and freedoms including French civil law and French

      1791 Constitutional Act - Loyalist demands for less French control created
      first separation into English versus French "provinces" i.e. Lower Canada
      (mostly French speaking) retaining French civil law and Upper Canada (mostly
      English speaking) with English civil law.

      1841 Act of Union united two Canadas into “United Canada” with English as
      only official language and English common law as only civil law but Canada
      East was acknowledged as French area and Canada West as English.

      1867 Dominion of Canada - renamed Canadas East and West to Quebec and
      Borders with U.S. continued to change until 1903. Also during this time the
      borders of Quebec and Ontario in relation to each other and in relation to
      Manitoba, Labrador, etc. continued to change. One night you could go to bed
      in Quebec and by morning be in Ontario or vice versa! Or you could be in
      Ontario one night and the next morning be in Manitoba and yet your bed never

      In 1912 the borders of Ontario were settled. 1920 Quebec borders settled.

      See also maps at

      Hope this helps.

      à bientôt,

      Scrapbooking & preservation techniques
      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564