Re: Western boundary of Lower Canada

  • Mary Arthur
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2005
      the original sender

      I googled "map lower canada 1861" and had lots of
      hits.
      This is in french - looks like it would help:
      http://www2.biblinat.gouv.qc.ca/cargeo/htm/z241.htm

      just go to index and pick years you want and keep
      looking.

      you can always reach me here or at ar109@...
      http://www.Care2.com Free e-mail. 100MB storage. Helps charities.

      Make a Difference: Tell U.S. Congress to stop hurting our health care! http://www.care2.com/go/z/healthcare

      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2005
        the original sender

        Hi Joan,

        Most people including Canadians know little about Canada's history and
        changing borders. Here from my presentation - Lost in the Canadas: Borders &
        Boundaries From Terra Incognito to the Dominion of Canada (which I have
        presented to AFHS as well as other organizations) are some important facts.

        The term Canada (first called this in documents in 1534) existed long before
        the term Quebec was assigned to any part of Canada. Quebec was established
        as a town in 1608 by Champlain. It became the main seat of government but
        there were other regional districts. Quebec was the superior seat but was
        not the term for all the French territories. Canada is shown as a Province
        of New France and Quebec is shown as a ville (town).

        From these times to 1713 the French continued to claim territory so that it
        extended as far as Hudson's Bay in the north to the tip of Louisiana in the
        south, as far east as Florida and as far west as the Rockies in the north
        and Rio Grande in the south. From the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713 to the
        Treaty of Paris in 1763 to War of 1812 (settled by the Treaty of Ghent 1814)
        to the 1903 Alaskan Panhandle settlement, the erosion of Canada continued.

        However, the information most pertinent to you is as follows:
        1763 Royal Proclamation new British government named former French
        territories “Province of Quebec” - included area to Ohio & Mississippi
        Rivers. First time Quebec is used as name for "Province". French were
        guaranteed rights and freedoms including French civil law and French
        language.

        1791 Constitutional Act - Loyalist demands for less French control created
        first separation into English versus French "provinces" i.e. Lower Canada
        (mostly French speaking) retaining French civil law and Upper Canada (mostly
        English speaking) with English civil law.

        1841 Act of Union united two Canadas into “United Canada” with English as
        only official language and English common law as only civil law but Canada
        East was acknowledged as French area and Canada West as English.

        1867 Dominion of Canada - renamed Canadas East and West to Quebec and
        Ontario.
        Borders with U.S. continued to change until 1903. Also during this time the
        borders of Quebec and Ontario in relation to each other and in relation to
        Manitoba, Labrador, etc. continued to change. One night you could go to bed
        in Quebec and by morning be in Ontario or vice versa! Or you could be in
        Ontario one night and the next morning be in Manitoba and yet your bed never
        moved!

        In 1912 the borders of Ontario were settled. 1920 Quebec borders settled.

        See also maps at
        http://www.collectionscanada.ca/maps/index-e.html
        http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020154_e.html

        Hope this helps.

        à bientôt,

        http://www.knowmap.com/age/
        Scrapbooking & preservation techniques
        Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564