Irish

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2002
      Hi Frank,

      What wall are you wishing to climb - I guess I should say which time period
      and which county?

      à bientôt,

      Enter Xenia as a search term at http://globalgazette.net/ to find my column
      "Nos Racines Francaises"
      Local book and magazine sales:
      http://www.knowmap.com/age/
      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2002
        YES FRANK, they have gone the extra 10 miles. A great bouquet for AFHS, too.

        Cheers

        Bill

        --
        William A. Campbell
        Calgary, Alberta, Canada

      • Corinne M Wegener-Pehrson
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 7, 2002
          I will be out of the office until October 21/2002.

          Sincerely yours,

          Brian W. Hutchison, Esq.
          B.Comm., C.M.A., C.G., FSA(Scot)
          Chairman and President

          GENFIND Research Associates, Inc. (Head Office):
          977 Ogilvie Boulevard N.W.
          Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6R 1J9
          Tel/Fax: (780)439-4704
          E-Mail: services@...
          GEN-FIND Research Associates, Inc. (Calgary Office):
          908-34th Street S.E.
          Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2A 0Z6
          Home-Page: http://www.gen-find.com

          On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 21:46:17
          Carol Lee wrote:
          >Bill:
          >
          >If your friend will go to www.familysearch.org, click Family History Library
          >tab at the right top of the page and then Family History Catalog in the
          >purple area of the next page, she will come to a search menu for the Family
          >History Library Catalog. Click the Location bar and then enter "China".
          >There are 121 categories listed. I suspect that some may be empty at the
          >moment, but I went into some and there were sources in them. We were
          >advised a while ago that there are more records in Salt Lake which have not,
          >as yet been put in the catalog, but that anyone interested can phone the
          >Family History Library and find someone who can tell them what those
          >materials are. It probably means going through several people to find the
          >right one. If your friend is interested, I will try to help her get to the
          >right person.
          >
          >There are also some interesting things that are coming from the LDS church.
          >Some records are being extracted right now from private sources (old family
          >records which have been discovered). Also, the Chinese government asked for
          >help some time ago because they felt their records were deteriorating. A
          >group from the Family History Library helped them get equipment to film
          >their records and trained their people in how to do the filming. I believe
          >that is now in progress. They have said they will make copies available to
          >the Family History Library. As far as I know that hasn't happened yet, but
          >it is something to look forward to in the near future.
          >
          >PAF 5 is also being made available in Chinese, if that makes a difference.
          >
          >By the way, I think it makes a difference whether your friend is searching
          >for Hong Kong or for mainland China. The above information applies more or
          >less to mainland China
          >
          >Carol Lee

          Watch a championship game with Elway or McGwire.
          Enter Now at http://champions.lycos.com
        • Corinne M Wegener-Pehrson
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 7, 2002