Re: GENOGRAPHIC PROJECT

  • Bill Mumford
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 19, 2005
      the original sender

      From what I've read on this project it appears they are just
      determining haplogroup. This will not help you a great deal with
      finding your ancestors. It will simply tell you where they might have
      originated. Family Tree DNA is the organization supplying the test swabs
      etc. The University of Arizona does the actual testing. The cost is
      $99US which is the same price as FTDNA's 12 marker Y chromosome test or
      an mtDNA test. If they send you the 12 marker results as well as the
      haplogroup type then the 12 markers, if matched exactly with another
      person with the same surname, indicate a 50% chance you have a common
      ancestor within 14 generations. See www.familytreedna.com

      BTW, my haplogroup is I (Viking)

      Cheers

      Bill

      Judith wrote:
      > I’ve been asking about this in the Mennonite genealogy community and a
      > chemist from U Guelph who is encouraging DNA testing elsewhere pointed
      > me to this discussion online. I think it asks some good questions.
      >

      > http://www.familytreedna.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695
      >

      > Judith Rempel
      >
      > Family Surnames: Rempel, Peters, Kaethler, Stobbe, Isaak, & Fischer
      >
      > rempel@... <mailto:rempel@...>
      >
      > www.rempelfamily.ca <http://www.rempelfamily.ca>
      >

      > and
      >

      > 1906@... <mailto:1906@...>
      >
      > 1906 Census of Canada ranscription Project
      >
      > Alberta Family Histories Society
      >

      > and
      >

      > MHSA Library & Archives Coordinator
      >
      > queries@... <mailto:queries@...>
      >
      > www.mennonites.ca/mhsa/ <http://www.mennonites.ca/mhsa/>

    • Judith
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 20, 2005
        the original sender

        I concur completely. My own dithering on doing DNA work is that I'm a woman
        with fewer options than men (mDNA)( - esp since I have no living father,
        brother, or full male first cousin. But, I've decided to dither only a bit
        longer .... and then pursue this.

        Thanks!

        Judii