FW: Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER #12 - 19 April 2005

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2005
      the original sender

      FYI

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Chairman
      Alberta Family Histories Society
      712-16th Ave NW,
      Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

      chairman@...
      www.afhs.ab.ca
      (403)214-1447

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Malcolm at ACDB-Canada [mailto:malcolm@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 11:26 AM
      To: chairman@...
      Subject: Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER #12 - 19 April 2005

      Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER #12 - 19 April 2005
      Contents:
      1 WELCOME
      2 WHAT’S IN THE NEWSLETTER
      3 NEW CANADIAN RELEASES (3)
      4 COMING SOON
      5 NEW RELEASES FROM OTHER PARTNERS
      Census of England - (2 - one also available as parts)
      British Books ( 18)
      Australian books- (2)
      USA Book (1)
      6 NEWS & GOSSIP
      7 FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY AND OTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS
      8 PREVIOUSLY RELEASED BOOKS

      1 WELCOME:
      Welcome to the twelth newsletter from Archive CD Books Canada. This
      newsletter will be published whenever we have enough information to make it
      worth your while reading, but we expect that will mean there will be about
      one a month.

      Remember this Newsletter is published for you so if you think we’re missing
      something important drop me a line to Malcolm@....

      Newsletters work best when they get a good circulation. We’re doing our
      best to let people know about it but you could help us along by mentioning
      it to your genealogy buddies and generally spreading the word. Give them
      the URL

      and they can sign-up directly.

      You can also use this same address to manage you subscription and to access
      the archives.

      2 WHAT’S IN THE NEWSLETTER:
      A total of 37 new title releases in this newsletter (if you count all the
      individual Census CDs)!
      New releases from Archive CD Books Canada.
      New Census CDs from the UK.
      New British Books including news on new Phillimore’s parish registers New
      Australian CDs New USA CD News Gossip and more.

      3 NEW CANADIAN RELEASES:
      To find a book on our web site http://www.archivecdbooks.ca take a note of
      the catalogue number - or use the “copy” function - go to the web site,
      click on the “Search Page” link and enter, or “paste,” the number into the
      “Product Number” box. Hit “Search” and then “More” and you will be in a
      position to reread the description or to place your order.
      There is frequently more information about the books available on the web
      site.
      All prices in $Cdn.

      * Manners and Rules of Good Society
      CA0009: Regular: $19.00, Release Special: $13.00 "Manners maketh man," to
      take a quote from William of Wykeham (1324 - 1404). It seems that the
      development of a civilization can be measured by the complexity of it's
      social rules and customs. At the peak of the British Empire the "Upper
      Classes" had developed a strict and complicated code of public behavior
      which was expected to be fully understood and rigidly adhered to if one
      wanted to be a member of society. Today we look back at the dichotomy
      between the lifestyle which this code of etiquette sprang from and that of
      the ordinary, or working, people with a surprise which borders on amazement.
      A fascinating manual of "polite behaviour" published in 1912 for those who
      considered themselves to be a part of "society." Interestingly the author
      shows an inadvertent hint at the prevalent double standards by his
      reluctance to have his "good" name associated with a commercial venture,
      i.e., publishing this very book.
      This is a single edition of a work which was frequently revised to "...keep
      it up to date, that it may be depended upon as being not only the most
      reliable, but also the newest book of etiquette." This edition falls in the
      middle of a run of editions stretching from 1889 to 1943.
      Topics covered include: Introductions, Leaving Cards, Paying Calls, Forms of
      Address (including to royalty), Behavior at Parties, Weddings, and other
      Social Occasions. There are also instructions on the ìforms"
      to be used when abroad both in "The Colonies" and in India.
      A must read for anyone who wants to understand the highly stylized public
      interactions of the upper and middle classes in good society.

      * History of Nova Scotia - 1916 Vol III
      CA0085: $35.00
      This is Vol 3 only of this famous 3 volume work but it's the one
      genealogists are looking for. Published in 1916 this volume is completely
      filled with "Biographical Sketches of Representative Citizens and
      Genealogical Records of the Older Families." There is no indication of how
      the subjects were selected but there has to be a suspicion that entries were
      by subscription rather than by any other qualification. This could account
      for the wide choice of subjects to be included. Some are native Nova
      Scotians who have lived in the Province all their lives. Mixed in however
      are those born in Nova Scotia who had since ventured further west to make
      their way in the world as well as those born outside the province who had
      since adopted Nova Scotia as their home.
      The subjects occupations represent a cross section of industry and trade but
      the common thread is that all appear to be successful and affluent and it is
      this one common factor which leads to the conclusion that inclusion in this
      volume was by subscription. Not that there were any shortage of
      subscribers. The biographies of almost 750 individuals and families are
      contained here, each identifying the subjects origins and descendants (if
      applicable) as well as giving details of the subjects life and current
      (then) circumstance.
      This is a large book of 700 pages and it also contains 42 illustrations
      being a mixture of pictures and engravings of the subjects and of notable
      locations around Nova Scotia. Although there does not appear to be any
      order in which the biographies are recorded there is an eight page index of
      all the biographies so finding the relevant entry is easy. In addition we
      have formatted the CD copy for text searches using the "Search" or "Find"
      features of any of the standard freely available PDF file readers. We
      recommend the use of Adobe Reader(TM) version 4 or better, for maximum
      compatibility.
      To help you determine if your ancestors appear in this volume we have
      extracted the Biographical Index of Names as it appears in the book and made
      them available on our web site. Don't forget that the biographies also
      contain the "maiden" names of married ladies - both as "in-law's"
      and children's spouses - but these will not appear in the index.

      * The Talbot Settlement Centenary Celebration - 1903
      CA0127: Regular: $13.00, Release Special: $9.50 This is the Elgin
      Historical and Scientific Institute's record of the Centenary Celebration of
      the establishment of The Talbot Settlement in 1803. Although this
      celebration took place in 1903 the publication date of this record is 1910.
      There is a description of the preparations for the celebration, including
      the names of those who were most visible in the organization of the event.
      The report goes on to describe in detail all the activities which were
      spread over five days from the 21 May (the actual landing day) to 25 May
      which was Victoria day.
      The official Centenary Celebration didn't finish until June of 1903 when the
      Ontario History Society held it's summer meeting in St.
      Thomas. The last two chapters in the book are a description of the events
      and quotes from some of the speeches made during the 2 day meeting and a
      republication of the Societies minutes of the meeting.
      Our copy of this small book has been formatted for text searches using
      any of the freely available pdf file readers such as Adobe Reader(TM).
      This feature can be useful in finding a particular name amongst the hundreds
      of people mentioned for playing some part in these celebrations. The book
      includes many pictures taken during the parades and events as well as
      numerous portraits of the participants.

      4 COMING SOON:

      * Early Shefford (Eastern Townships) Pioneers We now have the book and will
      be scanning and publishing it as soon as we can.

      * A friend of Archive CD Books Canada has loaned us a copy of “A History of
      the County of Grey” and it is next up on the scanner.

      * If you have any McCurdy’s in your family tree stay tuned! I’m sure we are
      going to have something that will interest you coming up soon.

      5 NEW RELEASES FROM OTHER PARTNERS:
      (All prices in $Cdn.)

      CENSUS OF ENGLAND -- NEW RELEASES:

      Glamorgan 1841 County 8 CD SET (not available as individual parts)
      C1841GLA: $47.70
      As with all our 1841 censuses, we have scanned it in grey scale to a very
      high quality indeed to overcome the problems typically associated with the
      faded 1841 census pages. We can't promise that every single page will be
      legible (invisible ink is impossible to scan) but we can say that the pages
      will be more readable than on the original films that you may have seen in
      the past!
      We make no apologies for the price of our 1841 CDs. We work UP to a quality
      rather than down to a price, and we have gained the reputation of being the
      best at scanning these old 1841 census documents.

      Northumberland 1861 Census Registration Districts FULL 11 CD SET
      C1861NBL: $80.40
      RG 9/3810-3896
      In addition to the full county set, we have made parts of the Northumberland
      1861 census available on 11 individual CDs each containing a range of census
      pieces: $16.10 ea.
      If you do not need the whole county, then this is the opportunity for you to
      buy smaller parts at a more affordable price for the districts in which you
      have interest. (see our web site for the districts on each
      part)
      The census is not necessarily organised by logical geographical districts.
      Please refer to the lists of places included. Be aware that some places
      occasionally occur on more than one CD. (We have not divided the CDs into
      geographical areas - we have kept strictly to the HO classifications as per
      the original census references).

      BRITISH BOOKS - NEW RELEASE:

      * Kelly's Directory of Kent 1882
      GB1304: $27.80
      A typically comprehensive Kelly's directory with descriptions of every place
      and alphabetical lists of residents, their trades and addresses.

      * White's History and Directory of Lincolnshire and Hull 1826
      GB1306: $21.90
      It is rare to find a White's directory this old. They are typically
      comprehensive for their time and include alongside the alphabetical lists of
      residents with their trades, lists of magistrates, Bankers, Fairs in the
      county, Shipping, Coasting and River traders, and much more.
      A great resource!

      * The Sufferings of the Clergy 1714
      GB1325: $50.20
      Written and compiled by John Walker.
      "An attempt towards recovering an account of the numbers and sufferings of
      the Clergy of the Church of England, Heads of Colleges, Fellows, Scholars
      etc."
      Contains the names of very many clergy and provides biographical details
      such as the name of his father and any other important relations, where
      educated, career details, date and place of death.
      Many of the biographies contain very detailed information. Information is
      arranged in alphabetical order by place.
      The book also contains detailed chapters about the environment in which
      these people lived and worked, the politics of the day and how it affected
      them directly

      ARCHIVE CD BOOKS PARISH REGISTER SERIES
      The transcriptions for each parish contain the whole of the registers for
      each parish from the first available preserved register (usually in the
      1500s and as early as 1538) up to either 1812 or in many cases, 1837.
      Remember however that Phillimore's did not have access to the registers in
      all parishes when making the transcripts. See our web site for a complete
      list of all parishes included in each of the sets.
      Just 150 copies of each original volume were printed. These are very rare
      and sought-after books of incredible value to the family
      historian:

      * Nottinghamshire Parish Registers - Marriages (Phillimore) (27 Vols)
      GB0050-S3: $35.10
      NEW REVISED AND REMASTERED COMPENDIUM OF 27 BOOKS COVERING THE CITY OF
      NOTTINGHAM AND THE COUNTY OF NOTTINGHAMSHIRE Part 1: 5 VOLUMES - NOTTINGHAM
      CITY PARISHES Nottingham Churches: St. Mary (2 volumes), St. Peter, St.
      Nicholas, Plus a fifth book: "Notes on St. Mary's Parish Registers".
      (Baptisms, Marriages & Burials) Part 2: 22 VOLUMES - NOTTINGHAMSHIRE COUNTY
      PARISHES

      * Norfolk Parish Registers - Marriages (12 Vols)
      GBR001-0001: $35.10
      All 12 volumes of the Phillimore's marriages transcripts, making up the
      county set.

      * Wiltshire Parish Registers - Marriages - Complete Set
      GBR001-0002: $35.10
      All 14 volumes of the Phillimore's marriages transcripts, making up the
      county set.

      * Gloucestershire Parish Registers - Marriages (17 Vols)
      GBR001-0003: $35.10
      All 17 volumes of the Phillimore's marriages transcripts, making up the
      county set.

      * Somerset Parish Registers - Marriages (15 Vols)
      GBR001-0004: $35.10
      All 15 volumes of the Phillimore's marriages transcripts, making up the
      county set.

      * Hampshire Parish Registers - Marriages (16 Vols)
      GBR001-0005: $35.10
      All 16 volumes of the Phillimore's marriages transcripts, making up the
      county set.

      * Berkshire Parish Registers - Marriages (2Vols)
      GBR001-0006: $21.90
      Both volumes of the Phillimore's marriages transcripts, making up the county
      set.

      * Cambridgeshire Parish Registers - Marriages (8 Vols)
      GBR001-0007: $27.80
      All 8 volumes of the Phillimore's marriages transcripts, making up the
      county set.

      * Cheshire Parish Registers - Marriages (5 Vols)
      GBR001-0008: $21.90
      All 5 volumes of the Phillimore's marriages transcripts, making up the
      county set.

      * Devon Parish Registers - Marriages (2 Vols)
      GBR001-0009: $21.90
      Both volumes of the Phillimore's marriages transcripts, making up the county
      set.

      * Dorset Parish Registers - Marriages (7 Vols)
      GBR001-0010: $27.80
      All 7 volumes of the Phillimore's marriages transcripts, making up the
      county set.

      * Essex Parish Registers - Marriages (4 Vols)
      GBR001-0011: $21.90
      All 4 volumes of the Phillimore's marriages transcripts, making up the
      county set.

      * Hertfordshire Parish Registers - Marriages (3 Vols)
      GBR001-0012: $21.90
      All 3 volumes of the Phillimore's marriages transcripts, making up the
      county set.

      * Huntingdonshire Parish Registers - Marriages (1 Vol)
      GBR001-0013: $18.70
      The single volume of the Phillimore's marriages transcripts, making up the
      county set.

      * Kent Parish registers - Marriages (2 Vols)
      GBR001-0014: $21.90
      Both volumes of the Phillimore's marriages transcripts, making up the county
      set.

      AUSTRALIAN BOOKS - NEW RELEASES:

      * The Early History of Rockhampton
      AU4009: $31.40
      A fine account of the early years of Rockhampton, revised and reprinted in
      1904 from articles that appeared in 'The Morning Bulletin' and 'The
      Capricornian'. A glance at the Contents below will show how wide ranging
      this book is.
      This book is particularly valuable as the original articles on which it is
      based were compiled while many of the pioneers were still alive.
      "Though, in some instances the history of people and institutions has been
      brought up to date [1904], the articles have been largely confined to the
      story of the town up till 1870."
      The whole text of this 424 page book is searchable - useful not only
      for finding names, but also places and any other words in the text.
      This searchable CD opens up for the first time the wealth of information in
      this important record. The original book did not even have an index!

      * Bailliere's Queensland Gazetteer 1876 - R. Whitworth
      AU4019: $31.40
      This important and rare 19th century Queensland gazetteer is now offered as
      an inexpensive and searchable CD. It contains 'the most recent and accurate
      information on every place in the colony' in 1876 - a wealth of information
      for historians and genealogists. It will also interest the general reader
      with its many insights into the 19th Century Queensland and several thousand
      localities. There are entries for towns and villages, lakes, rivers and
      creeks, islands, bays, hills and mountains, runs and other localities and
      features. It often gives latitude and longitude, populations, proximity to
      other towns, local industries, services such as coach and mail runs, hotels,
      churches, schools and much more.
      After the main Gazetteer there is a 66 page listing of approximately 3000
      runs, with the pastoral districts in which they are situated, the names of
      their lessees, and the next post towns. A fuller description is given of
      those runs in the settled districts. This volume includes many
      advertisements, themselves giving an insight into 19th Century Queensland
      Note: the map published with the original is not available in this CD
      edition.
      The whole 320 page gazetteer is searchable, including most text in the
      advertisements. It is useful not only for finding names, but also places,
      occupations and other information.

      USA BOOKS - NEW RELEASE:

      * The Farmer's Almanack 1837, 1839 & 1849 Three books on one CD.
      US0120: $18.70
      If your ancestor was a Farmer in Massachusetts there is no doubt that he
      would have used this book. It includes a calendar and a great variety of
      useful and entertaining information for the hard working Farmer. Perhaps
      especially useful would have been the articles on the latest agricultural
      know how.
      Some of the entertaining bits of information include, the heights of the
      presidents, the first railways in England and New Hampshire, and mind
      puzzles.

      6 NEWS & GOSSIP:

      If any of you have genealogy related questions of a general nature - or
      something specifically related to Archive CD Books - we'd be glad to publish
      your question in this newsletter to tap into the enormous fund of knowledge
      which I know is out there.

      * GENE-O-RAMA 2005:
      We had a great time meeting all of you on the 8th and 9th of April. We had
      well over 200 titles with us at the show and I know you all had a good time
      “examining the goods!’”
      We especially enjoyed watching the faces of those who were new to Archive CD
      Books when we told them that we could only bring along about 10% of what was
      in our catalogue!
      We are looking forward to our next outing and will let you know where and
      when in plenty of time.

      * ARCHIVE CD BOOKS IRELAND:
      Our big news this month is the launching of Archive CD Books Ireland on
      23 March. We are all very excited that we will soon be able to bring you
      some prime Irish research materials. And are these partners situated to
      bring you the “good stuff!” The are closely associated with the wonderful
      and ancient library in Trinity College Dublin and plan to work their way
      through that whole collection! You can check out their web site at
      <http://www.archivecdbooks.ie/>.
      We haven’t received any of their materials yet but we are expecting it any
      day now.

      * SPECIALS;
      We seem to have been running the same special offer for a long time now and
      will soon be finding something new to offer. If you haven’t got your 1854
      Gazetteer of the United States, Product No. GB0367, free yet it this may be
      your last chance.

      Two of our new Canadian releases are being released this month with a
      special price.:
      ** Manners and Rules of Good Society, CA0009 Is regularly: $19.00, RELEASE
      SPECIAL IS $13.00

      ** The Talbot Settlement Centenary Celebration - 1903, CA0127: Is
      regular: $13.00, RELEASE SPECIAL IS $9.50

      These special prices wont last long!

      * ARCHIVE CD BOOKS CANADA FORUM:
      As well as announcing our new releases in this newsletter we are also
      posting them on the British-Genealogy Forums. I suggest you use the link
      below to go straight to our Canadian page because there are a lot of forums
      on this site and it takes a while to find your way around:
      http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20
      In addition to posting our new releases you will see that we also announce
      other pieces of news and gossip as they come along. You may find some of
      the other forums of interest if you haven’t visited this site before.

      COMMENTS FROM CUSTOMERS:
      “I would just like to say that I am very happy not only with the quality of
      the census CD's but with the service I received from Archive CD Books,
      Canada. ........ Thank you very much for everything.
      Thank you, Robert

      7 FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY AND OTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS:

      * CUMBERLAND COUNTY GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY PRESENTS CUMBERLAND GENEALOGY
      CONFERENCE - 2005 Featuring experts:
      Ruby Bjarnason (C.C.G.S.); Leland Harvie (G.A.N.S); James Snowdon (Acadia
      University); William Hamilton (Mount Allison University); Kathryn Hilder
      (University of New Brunswick) A full day of genealogy for everyone - from
      the beginner to the experienced researcher
      WHEN: Saturday, April 30, 2005 ( 9:00 - 4:30)
      WHERE: Nova Scotia Community College, Cumberland Campus, Springhill, NS

      COST: $30.00 per person (includes lunch), $25.00 per person (Registration
      before April 20, 2005)

      * Upcoming Genealogy Workshops / Orientations-Cloverdale & Semiahmoo
      Libraries-Surrey (BC). Jan-April 2005 To Register, or for more information
      click here.
      or
      Call: Mary Willa Littler at 902-597-2469
      or
      Write: CCGS, PO Box 1071, Amherst, NS B4H 4E2 also visit
      http://www.ccgs.ednet.ns.ca

      - April 23; Finding your Female Ancestors Saturday, April 23, 2005, 10:30 -
      12:30 p.m.
      At the Cloverdale Library, 5642-176A Street, Surrey
      Instructor: Diane Rogers Charge $10
      Please pre-register by calling 604-576-1384 (local 303 or 304). Payment is
      required upon registration.
      - Ongoing----Cloverdale Library Genealogical Collection Orientations The
      first Saturday of every month, 9:30 - 10:30 am at the Cloverdale
      Library, 5642 - 176A Street, Surrey. Free of charge.
      Preregistration suggested. If you would like more information, call us at
      604-576-1384 (ext. 5) For more information, see the library's website
      http://www.spl.surrey.bc.ca/Programs+and+Services/Genealogy/default.htm
      or call the library's genealogy department, 604 576 1384

      ----

      * The Kelowna & District Genealogy Society invite you and your members to
      attend our 2005 Seminar "Harvest Your Family Tree" to be held in Kelowna,
      B.C., Canada, on September 30, October 1, 2, 2005.  We have a selection of
      noted speakers from Scotland, England and Western Canada; something for
      everyone, whether you are just beginning or are a seasoned researcher. More
      information about early bird registration, seminar schedule and presenters
      is available on the Kelowna & District Genealogy website:
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~bckdgs/seminar2005.htm.
      Kind regards, Betty Maurice, Advertising Committee, 2005 Seminar -
      bjmaur@...

      Don't forget we can help your group to spread the news. Send us an e-mail.

      8 PREVIOUSLY RELEASED BOOKS:
      Archives of this newsletter showing all the previous release announcements
      are available in the newsletter archive which can be reached through,
      <http://www.british-genealogy.com/pipermail/cdbooks-news-canada/>
      All our newly released books are listed on our web site in the New Releases
      and Special Offers page. Go to:
      <http://www.archivecdbooks.ca/new.html> for an instant update on our new
      products.

      Archive CD Books Canada Inc.