Re: photographing grave markers

  • Douglas Stobbs
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2002
      E.Rodier wrote:

      > Does anyone have any tips for photographing partially overgrown flat
      > all-black markers at Burnsland Cemetery? Moved some of the grass and damp

      When AFHS was recording Burnsland cemetery we used shaving cream.... with
      the blessing of the Cemetery Manager too I'll add.

      This worked fine and would for you I'm sure.

      The technique is to spray it on the letters and it will 'bubble up' and fill
      all the grooves etc.
      Then... have some cardboard handy (8.5 x 11" is great) and scrape the
      bulk of the cream away which will leave all the letters filled and clearly
      visible.
      Do this just before a rain and there isn't even a clean-up problem.

      Good luck.

      Doug.

      --
      {Douglas Stobbs, 2420 2nd Ave NW #308, Calgary AB Canada, T2N 0H4.

    • Larry McCool
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2002
        Elizabeth
        While researching in Ontario some years ago part of my equipment was a
        garden trowel, old scissors ( to cut grass ), gloves and a 2" fairly soft
        paint brush. Items worked well. and were easily carried in a shopping bag in
        the trunk

        Larry

        Larry & Doreen McCool
        Calgary, AB Canada
        Our new address is
        mccoollh@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2002
          Thanks for the tips. I was on location about the time Larry's message
          arrived without the gloves trimming the grass and had a soft cloth to wipe
          away the damp earth. Same camera, mid-morning sun instead of dull overcast.
          All the lettering showed clearly and they looked like completely different
          markers.

          With enhancement in Paint Shop Pro, the retakes look like the lettering is
          indented and the background raised. The lettering is actually shiny black
          like the main part of the marker and the background of words is slightly
          indented/rough so it held a bit of mud from the rain and photographed as
          brown.

          Tiny Minolta digital camera can focus close and also has a zoom. Planning to
          try it for library work soon.