GENOGRAPHIC PROJECT

  • William Campbell
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18, 2005
      Hi Folks:

      Thought you might find this of interest.

      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/04/050415204512.htm

      You might still find your gggggggggrandfather!

      Cheers

      BILL

      --
      WILLIAM CAMPBELL
      CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA

    • Judith
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 18, 2005

        I’ve been asking about this in the Mennonite genealogy community and a chemist from U Guelph who is encouraging DNA testing elsewhere pointed me to this discussion online.  I think it asks some good questions.

        http://www.familytreedna.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695

        Judith Rempel

        Family Surnames: Rempel, Peters, Kaethler, Stobbe, Isaak, & Fischer

        rempel@...

        www.rempelfamily.ca

        and

        1906@...

        1906 Census of Canada ranscription Project

        Alberta Family Histories Society

        and

        MHSA Library & Archives Coordinator

        queries@...

        www.mennonites.ca/mhsa/

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 19, 2005
          the original sender

          From what I've read on this project it appears they are just
          determining haplogroup. This will not help you a great deal with
          finding your ancestors. It will simply tell you where they might have
          originated. Family Tree DNA is the organization supplying the test swabs
          etc. The University of Arizona does the actual testing. The cost is
          $99US which is the same price as FTDNA's 12 marker Y chromosome test or
          an mtDNA test. If they send you the 12 marker results as well as the
          haplogroup type then the 12 markers, if matched exactly with another
          person with the same surname, indicate a 50% chance you have a common
          ancestor within 14 generations. See www.familytreedna.com

          BTW, my haplogroup is I (Viking)

          Cheers

          Bill

          Judith wrote:
          > I’ve been asking about this in the Mennonite genealogy community and a
          > chemist from U Guelph who is encouraging DNA testing elsewhere pointed
          > me to this discussion online. I think it asks some good questions.
          >

          > http://www.familytreedna.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695
          >

          > Judith Rempel
          >
          > Family Surnames: Rempel, Peters, Kaethler, Stobbe, Isaak, & Fischer
          >
          > rempel@... <mailto:rempel@...>
          >
          > www.rempelfamily.ca <http://www.rempelfamily.ca>
          >

          > and
          >

          > 1906@... <mailto:1906@...>
          >
          > 1906 Census of Canada ranscription Project
          >
          > Alberta Family Histories Society
          >

          > and
          >

          > MHSA Library & Archives Coordinator
          >
          > queries@... <mailto:queries@...>
          >
          > www.mennonites.ca/mhsa/ <http://www.mennonites.ca/mhsa/>

        • Judith
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 20, 2005
            the original sender

            I concur completely. My own dithering on doing DNA work is that I'm a woman
            with fewer options than men (mDNA)( - esp since I have no living father,
            brother, or full male first cousin. But, I've decided to dither only a bit
            longer .... and then pursue this.

            Thanks!

            Judii