Re: CHINESE GENEALOGY

  • Frank Morrow
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2002
      To both Carol & Xenia, your efforts on behalf of the Chinese researcher are to be commended. You have both
      gone the extra mile. Your efforts are appreciated by me as an interested by-stander & a 'dist-gener'.
      Now if only someone would help me climb the wall in Ireland..................

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2002
        Hi Frank,

        What wall are you wishing to climb - I guess I should say which time period
        and which county?

        à bientôt,

        Enter Xenia as a search term at http://globalgazette.net/ to find my column
        "Nos Racines Francaises"
        Local book and magazine sales:
        http://www.knowmap.com/age/
        Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2002
          YES FRANK, they have gone the extra 10 miles. A great bouquet for AFHS, too.

          Cheers

          Bill

          --
          William A. Campbell
          Calgary, Alberta, Canada

        • Corinne M Wegener-Pehrson
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 7, 2002
            I will be out of the office until October 21/2002.

            Sincerely yours,

            Brian W. Hutchison, Esq.
            B.Comm., C.M.A., C.G., FSA(Scot)
            Chairman and President

            GENFIND Research Associates, Inc. (Head Office):
            977 Ogilvie Boulevard N.W.
            Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6R 1J9
            Tel/Fax: (780)439-4704
            E-Mail: services@...
            GEN-FIND Research Associates, Inc. (Calgary Office):
            908-34th Street S.E.
            Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2A 0Z6
            Home-Page: http://www.gen-find.com

            On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 21:46:17
            Carol Lee wrote:
            >Bill:
            >
            >If your friend will go to www.familysearch.org, click Family History Library
            >tab at the right top of the page and then Family History Catalog in the
            >purple area of the next page, she will come to a search menu for the Family
            >History Library Catalog. Click the Location bar and then enter "China".
            >There are 121 categories listed. I suspect that some may be empty at the
            >moment, but I went into some and there were sources in them. We were
            >advised a while ago that there are more records in Salt Lake which have not,
            >as yet been put in the catalog, but that anyone interested can phone the
            >Family History Library and find someone who can tell them what those
            >materials are. It probably means going through several people to find the
            >right one. If your friend is interested, I will try to help her get to the
            >right person.
            >
            >There are also some interesting things that are coming from the LDS church.
            >Some records are being extracted right now from private sources (old family
            >records which have been discovered). Also, the Chinese government asked for
            >help some time ago because they felt their records were deteriorating. A
            >group from the Family History Library helped them get equipment to film
            >their records and trained their people in how to do the filming. I believe
            >that is now in progress. They have said they will make copies available to
            >the Family History Library. As far as I know that hasn't happened yet, but
            >it is something to look forward to in the near future.
            >
            >PAF 5 is also being made available in Chinese, if that makes a difference.
            >
            >By the way, I think it makes a difference whether your friend is searching
            >for Hong Kong or for mainland China. The above information applies more or
            >less to mainland China
            >
            >Carol Lee

            Watch a championship game with Elway or McGwire.
            Enter Now at http://champions.lycos.com
          • Corinne M Wegener-Pehrson
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 7, 2002