RE: archives for Doug Stobbs' stuff

  • Judith
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2005

      Gordon H is exactly right – the contents determine the right archives.  They do that by being a match for the mandate of a particular archives.  There is an archives near Mission (my home area as well), the Glenbow, and lots of others.

      Since Doug was in the East when he died, an archives there should be contacted by his family to do a formal “archival appraisal”.  Such an appraisal determines whether the records fit within their mandate and never has a cost associated with it.  Such “appraisals” needs to be done while viewing the records.  If the records don’t fit their mandate and the records are worthy of archiving, the archivist is ethically bound to identify a more suitable archives (a better match between records content and the archives’ mandate).

      Judith Rempel

      rempel@...

      and, among other things,

      MHSA Library & Archives Coordinator