archives for Doug Stobbs' stuff

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2005
      the original sender

      Doug Stobbs are wondering about the most appropriate archives to receive
      Doug Stobbs' research material. His parents lived in the Crowsnest Pass
      and Mission, BC.

      Lois Sparling

    • Gord Hulbert
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2005
        Hi there:

        When I was looking for a great uncle of mine that lived in Blairmore, I
        found a little bit about him on our website.  I mentioned to Doug what I
        found and he told me to go to the Glenbow because an old funeral
        director from the Crowsnest had collected obits and the Glenbow had them
        on microfilm.  Until we know what his archives contain, it's hard to
        tell where they belong.

        --
        Regards,

        Gord Hulbert

        MSGTAG has notified Marg or Gord Hulbert that you have received this message.

      • Judith
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 12, 2005

          Gordon H is exactly right – the contents determine the right archives.  They do that by being a match for the mandate of a particular archives.  There is an archives near Mission (my home area as well), the Glenbow, and lots of others.

          Since Doug was in the East when he died, an archives there should be contacted by his family to do a formal “archival appraisal”.  Such an appraisal determines whether the records fit within their mandate and never has a cost associated with it.  Such “appraisals” needs to be done while viewing the records.  If the records don’t fit their mandate and the records are worthy of archiving, the archivist is ethically bound to identify a more suitable archives (a better match between records content and the archives’ mandate).

          Judith Rempel

          rempel@...

          and, among other things,

          MHSA Library & Archives Coordinator

          queries@...

          www.mennonites.ca/mhsa/

          Lois Sparling wrote:

          > Please note that your reply will now only go to
          > the original sender
          >

          > Doug Stobbs are wondering about the most appropriate archives to
          > receive Doug Stobbs' research material.  His parents lived in
          the
          > Crowsnest Pass
          and Mission , BC .