RE: Question on noting in a program locations that no longer exist or have changed names

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2005
      Thanks Joyce. Your further information reminded me that I did not mention I add fields for other vital events, such as baptism, christening, burial and other data that is important to your particular family tree. For French, French Canadian and other countries as well the events were registered through the church, especially the Catholic Church for many mainland European countries prior to the 18th century (some changed to civil registration later, some earlier than that). Basically the Church recorded the date of baptism and if it was the baptism of an infant the birthdate and place was also usually given (I won't go into the history of when and how details of records varied because that is a complicated topic). The date of the "act" (i.e. baptism or funeral/burial service) was usually different from the date of the vital event (e.g. birth or death). So I have added a field called baptism which includes date and place, a field called burial which includes date and place. Also in some records I have both a christening (which I use to note it was in a non-Catholic church) and a baptism for those who converted to Catholicism (or vice-versa).

      One of my clients was very proud of the fact that nearly every family member for several generations had graduated from high school and a high percentage went on to college, university or other specialized education. Thus fields for graduation were added to cover a number of levels from high school to Ph.D. and types from teachers, doctors to pilots etc. These special fields can be included on reports and other printouts. So flexibility in a program that allows for special fields is great as then everything does not just have to be lumped in the general notes and the particular event(s) of importance to the family lineage can be printed out in a special report.

      Xenia Stanford (president@...)

      P.S. I don't know why my accented words were garbled or changed in my message as shown below!

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2005
        the original sender

        Multiple education details and multiple occupations are a deciding factor in
        the choice of genealogy software for charts. Some genealogy programs are
        limited to one event or tag for birth/baptism and some charts may not show
        the field where education or occupation are entered.

        My display chart had photo, occupation and medical clip art but a Family
        Tree Maker file could easily be planned to include education or religion
        clip art. -- Elizabeth