RE: Chinese genealogy

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2002
      Hi Bill and all,

      I found a reference to the database that I mentioned where vital records
      (births, marriages, ) and other public records (cemetery, passenger lists,
      etc.) from China have been indexed. Currently the database covers the past
      1,100 years and work is continuing back to the last 3000 years. It can be
      searched at http://www.chineseroots.com/english/search/main.jsp
      It also contains the jai pu records I mentioned in the previous message in a
      "sister" database but at the above you can search one or the other or both
      together.

      Go to http://www.chineseroots.com/english/main.jsp and look on the righthand
      side of the screen to see the databases available.

      That's the good news. The bad news is the search and the records are only
      available in Chinese - either traditional or simplified - it must be
      searched using these characters and the display will be in characters. This
      may not be a problem for your friend if she has a Chinese character keyboard
      and can read/write Chinese.

      The online version is searchable and I gather it is an index plus (tells you
      not just the name and date but type of record and source) but the full
      record can be accessed from microfilm of the records from the FHL in Salt
      Lake. When my client accessed the record she had to send for the printout or
      copies of the film directly. We could not order it in at the FHC at that
      time as microfilm (now quite some years ago since I was a volunteer at the
      local FHC) so this may or may not be the case now.

      I thought the database was down because the site is being revamped. However,
      it is the Chinese Kin resource that is down temporarily. This is also a
      useful resource because it is a collection of genealogies submitted by
      various families and also apparently transcriptions from some of the
      manuscript sources of Chinese ancestral histories by (sur)name.

      Now if I can just find the reference to the manuscript index done in book
      form recently that lists various manuscripts by family (sur)name and tells
      you in which library or repository each can be found, then I will have
      completed the loose ends from my previous message on this topic.

      a bientot (I don't remember any Chinese from my friends except "Gung Ho Fat
      Choi" (and not even sure of right spelling), which means Happy New Year! It
      immensely impressed my Chinese boss several years ago when I said it to him
      on Chinese New Year - so that one came in handy!)

      Enter Xenia as a search term at http://globalgazette.net/ to find my column
      "Nos Racines Francaises"
      Local book and magazine sales:
      http://www.knowmap.com/age/
      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

    • Corinne M Wegener-Pehrson
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2002
        I will be out of the office until October 21/2002.

        Sincerely yours,

        Brian W. Hutchison, Esq.
        B.Comm., C.M.A., C.G., FSA(Scot)
        Chairman and President

        GENFIND Research Associates, Inc. (Head Office):
        977 Ogilvie Boulevard N.W.
        Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6R 1J9
        Tel/Fax: (780)439-4704
        E-Mail: services@...
        GEN-FIND Research Associates, Inc. (Calgary Office):
        908-34th Street S.E.
        Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2A 0Z6
        Home-Page: http://www.gen-find.com

        On Sat, 5 Oct 2002 00:30:06
        Xenia Stanford wrote:
        >Hi Bill and all,
        >
        >I found a reference to the database that I mentioned where vital records
        >(births, marriages, ) and other public records (cemetery, passenger lists,
        >etc.) from China have been indexed. Currently the database covers the past
        >1,100 years and work is continuing back to the last 3000 years. It can be
        >searched at http://www.chineseroots.com/english/search/main.jsp
        >It also contains the jai pu records I mentioned in the previous message in a
        >"sister" database but at the above you can search one or the other or both
        >together.
        >
        >Go to http://www.chineseroots.com/english/main.jsp and look on the righthand
        >side of the screen to see the databases available.
        >
        >That's the good news. The bad news is the search and the records are only
        >available in Chinese - either traditional or simplified - it must be
        >searched using these characters and the display will be in characters. This
        >may not be a problem for your friend if she has a Chinese character keyboard
        >and can read/write Chinese.
        >
        >The online version is searchable and I gather it is an index plus (tells you
        >not just the name and date but type of record and source) but the full
        >record can be accessed from microfilm of the records from the FHL in Salt
        >Lake. When my client accessed the record she had to send for the printout or
        >copies of the film directly. We could not order it in at the FHC at that
        >time as microfilm (now quite some years ago since I was a volunteer at the
        >local FHC) so this may or may not be the case now.
        >
        >I thought the database was down because the site is being revamped. However,
        >it is the Chinese Kin resource that is down temporarily. This is also a
        >useful resource because it is a collection of genealogies submitted by
        >various families and also apparently transcriptions from some of the
        >manuscript sources of Chinese ancestral histories by (sur)name.
        >
        >Now if I can just find the reference to the manuscript index done in book
        >form recently that lists various manuscripts by family (sur)name and tells
        >you in which library or repository each can be found, then I will have
        >completed the loose ends from my previous message on this topic.
        >
        >a bientot (I don't remember any Chinese from my friends except "Gung Ho Fat
        >Choi" (and not even sure of right spelling), which means Happy New Year! It
        >immensely impressed my Chinese boss several years ago when I said it to him
        >on Chinese New Year - so that one came in handy!)
        >
        >Xenia Stanford (president@...)
        >A.G.E. Ancestree Genealogical Enterprises
        >Enter Xenia as a search term at http://globalgazette.net/ to find my column
        >"Nos Racines Francaises"
        >Local book and magazine sales:
        >http://www.knowmap.com/age/
        >Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
        >

        >http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        >http://www.family-roots.ca

        Watch a championship game with Elway or McGwire.
        Enter Now at http://champions.lycos.com