Re: WW1

  • The Gauthiers
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2005
      Each battalion was required to maintain one.
      They're online, and they're free!

      Frome the site:

      This database contains the digitised War Diaries of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) units. From the start of the First World War, CEF units were required to maintain a daily account of their “Actions in the Field.” This log was called a War Diary. The War Diaries are not personal diaries, rather they are a historical record of a unit’s administration, operations and activities during the First World War.

      Regards;
      Gary
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2005
        Happy New Year,

        Does anyone know if the US has a similar web site to what we have here in Canada for listing people who served in World War 1?  (other "conflicts" would be nice too for later).

        I found the NARA (national archives) web site but it does not have any on-line listing of personnel so it makes searching a bit more of a challenge.  I recall I found a web site that listed people who served in the US Civil War too.

        Cheers

        Peter

        Peter Adams
        Calgary, Ab
      • Mary Joan Cornett
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30, 2005
          Ancestry.com has a U.S. World War I draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 database on their website with scanned pages of the actual forms. They also have U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1928-1946. I know you have to pay to use the site, but you can look at it for free at the LDS library.

          I found one of my Ontario ancestors who had moved to Illinois and signed up with the U.S. army in W.W.I.

          Mary Joan

          Mary Joan Cornett
          jmj1@...