Searchable Filing System

  • Alan Cassley
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2 4:40 PM
      Hi Gang
      Can anyone help this gentleman?
      Alan Cassley

      Hello ...

      I write to ask if you or others you know may be able to provide assistance
      with the matters summarized below.  If you or they do are not able to assist
      me directly, can you or they suggest who I might contact for assistance with
      this matter?

      Also, you have my agreement to post this request for assistance on a
      computerized "Bulletin Board" at ALBERTA FAMILY HISTORIES SOCIETY, if you
      believe this might help me find the assistance I seek.  If you do this,
      please let me know it has been done AND advise how I can access that
      Bulletin Board.  Thank you.

      Context:
      I currently hold about 300 handwritten letters written between family
      members over a 75 year period.  I also have many other related historic
      documents reaching back 200 years that I would like to digitize.

      What I am looking for:
      A) Someone to help me identify an off-the-shelf computer program that I
      could readily use in the following ways?
      B) ALTERNATIVELY, someone I could hire who would customize an existing
      OFF-THE-SHELF PROGRAM so that I could then use it in the following ways:

      What I expect to do and to accomplish:
      1) I wish to type each and every letter, and to associate some key 'fields'
      with each letter, such as:
      - date of the letter
      - place where letter was written from
      - written by NAME
      - written to NAME
      - key topic or theme of the letter
      - perhaps two, three, four or five key words that would help users to
      cluster certain files/letters
      - room, of course, for the full body of the text
      - perhaps also room for a scanned (unsearchable) image of the letter itself

      - I would prefer to place each typed letter and its related tags into a
      separate file, rather than entering them all into a single file (though I'm
      open to understanding why this may not be essential or the best way to go).
      However, I would like my computer to recognize that the entire collection IS
      single/related collection for use as detailed below.

      2) Similarly, I would like to scan-in the many related historic documents,
      one per file, and be able to attach information to each file such as:
      - date
      - origin of the document
      - description of the document
      - key interesting facts about the document
      - the scanned image itself

      - again, I would prefer to place each document in a separate file, as part
      of a collection of searchable files.

      3) I would then like to be able to do searches on the entire collection of
      letter-files and related document-files, AND be able to printout or
      otherwise display the letters and documents that match my search criteria.

      For example:
      - list all letters that make reference to the individual John Doe or the
      city of Philadelphia or the word "chocolate."
      - then let me view and then print the documents I want
      - let me imbed a particular file/letter/document OR a particular segment of
      that file/letter/document into some other overview document that I prepare
      which summarizes the highlights of the collection AND which allows me to
      'footnote' the source file or document which is imbedded in the overview
      document.

      Level of my own computer knowledge:
      a) I use Microsoft Word, but do not believe this has the capabilities I
      refer to.
      b) I have not used Microsoft Access ... but would be willing to learn it
      (and to pay someone to design how I could maximize the use of Access, if
      that is necessary).
      c) I use ACDSee, a database program, to file and manage a large number of
      digitized photographs.
      d) I use Family Tree Maker, a database program, to file and manage a massive
      amount of data regarding family history and genealogy
      e) I use a scanner extensively (HP5590)

      I contacted the Glenbow Museum for help with this.  They suggested only that
      I type all documents into one single Word file.  They did speak of a
      $100,000 program that they use for managing some of their many documents,
      but realize this would not be a reasonable purchase for an individual user
      such as myself.

      Thank you for you assistance with this matter.

      Sam Aylesworth
      Calgary, Alberta, Canada
      email:  saylesworth@...
      Phone:  403-286-9259

    • Bill Mumford
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2 7:13 PM
        There are a number of ways to skinning this cat. <c> Considering the
        request is for a digital filing system that can link scanned documents
        I'd suggest Clooz. www.clooz.com This is an electronic filing system. A
        review of the program is available at www.mumford.ca/reportcard/. The
        program is based on Access, price is $39.95 US. It's designed
        specifically for document storage.

        Cheers

        Bill

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Charlie Hansen
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2 9:49 PM
          Sam Aylesworth asked Alan Cassley for suggestions re:

          > Context:
          > I currently hold about 300 handwritten letters written between family
          > members over a 75 year period. I also have many other related historic
          > documents reaching back 200 years that I would like to digitize.
          >

          > What I am looking for:
          > A) Someone to help me identify an off-the-shelf computer program that I
          > could readily use in the following ways? B) ALTERNATIVELY, someone I could
          > hire who would customize an existing OFF-THE-SHELF PROGRAM so that I could
          > then use it in the following ways:

          I would suggest that you consider organizing your project in a large file
          organized as:
          Volumes ( Letters Volume, Document Volume, or by dates)
          Chapters ( writers, recipients, dates or similar criteria)
          Sections ( Grouping of similar related items)
          Letter or Document with notes, keywords and citations.

          > What I expect to do and to accomplish:
          > 1) I wish to type each and every letter, and to associate some key
          > 'fields' with each letter, such as: - date of the letter - place where
          > letter was written from - written by NAME - written to NAME - key topic or
          > theme of the letter - perhaps two, three, four or five key words that
          > would help users to cluster certain files/letters - room, of course, for
          > the full body of the text - perhaps also room for a scanned (unsearchable)
          > image of the letter itself

          This could be done using one of several widely available word processors. I
          would suggest MS Word as you say that you are already use it, and for
          searching reasons as I will mention later

          > - I would prefer to place each typed letter and its related tags into a
          > separate file, rather than entering them all into a single file (though
          > I'm open to understanding why this may not be essential or the best way to
          > go). However, I would like my computer to recognize that the entire
          > collection IS single/related collection for use as detailed below.

          For creating a Table of Contents and indexes you should have all your letters or
          all your documents in a single file. Also you could create cross references or
          links from one letter item (name, place) to another, etc. If the file becomes too
          large you could separate your volumes into separate files.

          > 2) Similarly, I would like to scan-in the many related historic documents,
          > one per file, and be able to attach information to each file such as: -
          > date - origin of the document - description of the document - key
          > interesting facts about the document - the scanned image itself
          >
          > - again, I would prefer to place each document in a separate file, as part
          > of a collection of searchable files.

          Do you have some overriding reason for wanting separate files instead of using
          a Chapter, Section, Document organization?

          > 3) I would then like to be able to do searches on the entire collection of
          > letter-files and related document-files, AND be able to printout or
          > otherwise display the letters and documents that match my search criteria.
          >
          > For example:
          > - list all letters that make reference to the individual John Doe or the
          > city of Philadelphia or the word "chocolate." - then let me view and then
          > print the documents I want - let me imbed a particular
          > file/letter/document OR a particular segment of that file/letter/document
          > into some other overview document that I prepare which summarizes the
          > highlights of the collection AND which allows me to 'footnote' the source
          > file or document which is imbedded in the overview document.

          MS Word's Table of Contents and Indexes would do much of what you want.
          There are also several Desktop Search Engines that have recently become
          available. MSN, Google and Yahoo offer search engines that only work if you
          are using Windows XP. Copernic provides a Desktop Search Engine that is
          very flexible and works in a reduced mode with Windows 98 and ME.
          See http://www.copernic.com/
          These programs build an index and allow you to do fast "Google" type searches
          with Boolean logic on selected drives, folders or files. At present they seem to
          require documents to be in MS Word format, except Copernic, and do not
          appear to work with other word processor's documents. This is why I suggested
          MS Word over WordPerfect or OpenOffice, which otherwise have similar or
          better features.

          You would then have to select, copy and paste from your letters and documents
          into a new MS Word document with your added notes.

          Hope these suggestions are helpful.

          Regards,
          Charlie
          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Fitzpatrick, Wendy
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4 2:49 PM
            My suggestion is to use Excel or Access. Both are powerful, pretty
            standard and fairly easy to use. Plus they allow usage of Word files.
            Excel can offer pivot tables, Access a stronger database tool. In some
            ways this gentleman is asking for some functionalities which in a higher
            form may not be achievable unless he's willing to pay the big bucks.
            Even a Computer Science student out of university would want a hefty
            price to do this development project. Mind you not $100,000 - perhaps
            2-5% depending on the hours put in. Therefore my suggestion is to go
            with either Excel or Access if the driving force behind the want is a
            need subject to cost.

            Wendy Fitzpatrick
            Administrative Assistant, E9-2257
            New Ventures,