Re: CHINESE GENEALOGY

  • Carol Lee
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 4, 2002
      Bill:

      If your friend will go to www.familysearch.org, click Family History Library
      tab at the right top of the page and then Family History Catalog in the
      purple area of the next page, she will come to a search menu for the Family
      History Library Catalog. Click the Location bar and then enter "China".
      There are 121 categories listed. I suspect that some may be empty at the
      moment, but I went into some and there were sources in them. We were
      advised a while ago that there are more records in Salt Lake which have not,
      as yet been put in the catalog, but that anyone interested can phone the
      Family History Library and find someone who can tell them what those
      materials are. It probably means going through several people to find the
      right one. If your friend is interested, I will try to help her get to the
      right person.

      There are also some interesting things that are coming from the LDS church.
      Some records are being extracted right now from private sources (old family
      records which have been discovered). Also, the Chinese government asked for
      help some time ago because they felt their records were deteriorating. A
      group from the Family History Library helped them get equipment to film
      their records and trained their people in how to do the filming. I believe
      that is now in progress. They have said they will make copies available to
      the Family History Library. As far as I know that hasn't happened yet, but
      it is something to look forward to in the near future.

      PAF 5 is also being made available in Chinese, if that makes a difference.

      By the way, I think it makes a difference whether your friend is searching
      for Hong Kong or for mainland China. The above information applies more or
      less to mainland China

      Carol Lee

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2002
        Hi Carol and Bill and all,

        Carol said:

        "By the way, I think it makes a difference whether your friend is searching
        for Hong Kong or for mainland China. The above information applies more or
        less to mainland China"

        This is true - the resources I have been citing and the ones in the FHL are
        for mainland China. Taiwan, Hong Kong and other locations have to be
        researched in other sources... though if the family originated in mainland
        China before they went to the other countries, the database may still hold
        valuable information for them.

        à bientôt,

        Enter Xenia as a search term at http://globalgazette.net/ to find my column
        "Nos Racines Francaises"
        Local book and magazine sales:
        http://www.knowmap.com/age/
        Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2002
          Hi all,

          One amendment to what I said - according to the aforementioned site, they
          claim 96% of the world's Chinese population can be helped by the database. I
          would imagine that means at one time the people were in mainland China or
          else the book extends beyond. The company providing the database is in
          Singapore but the emphasis is on mainland Chinese vital records. The Chinese
          Kin databases cover North American as well as Asian and other countries
          information because it is submitted by family members from anywhere in the
          world.

          Now I will log off and go to bed while I think I still make sense.

          Bon nuit,

          Xenia

          > At last evening's AFHS presentation at the Public Library I was asked if
          > we could help a lady trying to do genealogy in China. I can find no
          > reference to any research sources to offer to her.
          >
          > Anyone have any information to share?
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Bill
          >
          > --
          > William A. Campbell
          > Calgary, Alberta, Canada
          >

          > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          > http://www.family-roots.ca

        • Frank Morrow
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2002
            To both Carol & Xenia, your efforts on behalf of the Chinese researcher are to be commended. You have both
            gone the extra mile. Your efforts are appreciated by me as an interested by-stander & a 'dist-gener'.
            Now if only someone would help me climb the wall in Ireland..................

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 5, 2002
                YES FRANK, they have gone the extra 10 miles. A great bouquet for AFHS, too.

                Cheers

                Bill

                --
                William A. Campbell
                Calgary, Alberta, Canada

              • Corinne M Wegener-Pehrson
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 7, 2002
                  I will be out of the office until October 21/2002.

                  Sincerely yours,

                  Brian W. Hutchison, Esq.
                  B.Comm., C.M.A., C.G., FSA(Scot)
                  Chairman and President

                  GENFIND Research Associates, Inc. (Head Office):
                  977 Ogilvie Boulevard N.W.
                  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6R 1J9
                  Tel/Fax: (780)439-4704
                  E-Mail: services@...
                  GEN-FIND Research Associates, Inc. (Calgary Office):
                  908-34th Street S.E.
                  Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2A 0Z6
                  Home-Page: http://www.gen-find.com

                  On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 21:46:17
                  Carol Lee wrote:
                  >Bill:
                  >
                  >If your friend will go to www.familysearch.org, click Family History Library
                  >tab at the right top of the page and then Family History Catalog in the
                  >purple area of the next page, she will come to a search menu for the Family
                  >History Library Catalog. Click the Location bar and then enter "China".
                  >There are 121 categories listed. I suspect that some may be empty at the
                  >moment, but I went into some and there were sources in them. We were
                  >advised a while ago that there are more records in Salt Lake which have not,
                  >as yet been put in the catalog, but that anyone interested can phone the
                  >Family History Library and find someone who can tell them what those
                  >materials are. It probably means going through several people to find the
                  >right one. If your friend is interested, I will try to help her get to the
                  >right person.
                  >
                  >There are also some interesting things that are coming from the LDS church.
                  >Some records are being extracted right now from private sources (old family
                  >records which have been discovered). Also, the Chinese government asked for
                  >help some time ago because they felt their records were deteriorating. A
                  >group from the Family History Library helped them get equipment to film
                  >their records and trained their people in how to do the filming. I believe
                  >that is now in progress. They have said they will make copies available to
                  >the Family History Library. As far as I know that hasn't happened yet, but
                  >it is something to look forward to in the near future.
                  >
                  >PAF 5 is also being made available in Chinese, if that makes a difference.
                  >
                  >By the way, I think it makes a difference whether your friend is searching
                  >for Hong Kong or for mainland China. The above information applies more or
                  >less to mainland China
                  >
                  >Carol Lee

                  Watch a championship game with Elway or McGwire.
                  Enter Now at http://champions.lycos.com
                • Corinne M Wegener-Pehrson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 7, 2002