RE: California

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 5:13 PM
      Hi Peter (and I am copying to the list in case it helps others):

      You can go directly to the state vital records office at

      California Department of Health Services

      Office of Vital Records - M.S. 5103

      P.O. Box 997410

      Sacramento, CA 95899-7410

      However, their records are not complete, as the counties did not always send a copy to the state, especially before 1905 or even early in the twentieth century before the registration of vital events was mandated. Even if the state office does not have the record, you must pay the $13 U.S. per record and they will send you a note stating "No public record" even though there may be one in the county office.  In other words they will not search for it if it is not in the state database.

      The collection of information at the state level began in 1905 and was not mandated until much later. So for earlier records, it is better to go to the county. C
      heck the list by city at http://www.vitalrec.com/ca.html#County

      This will give you the county name and address as well as dates covered and cost (same as that charged by the state). Also a benefit is most counties supply the information faster than the state office does. Also their payment options are more flexible than the state office allows.

      You also can order through third party, such as VitalChek http://www.vitalchek.com/California-death-records.htm or http://www.vitalsearch-ca.com/gen/ca/_vitals/cadeathm.htm (this one is 1905 +).

      To find out if the record has been indexed - especially for pre-1905 deaths go to http://www.deathindexes.com/california/ and select Pre-1905 California Death Index Project. This database is free and give you the information to help you reduce time and cost of obtaining the record.

      If none of this helps, contact me with the name of the person, date and location of the death and I will see if I can help you further.

      Local genealogy book sales, professional research & writing: http://www.knowmap.com/age/
      Scrapbooking & preservation techniques