FW: Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER #11 - 17 March 2005

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2005
      the original sender

      Gordon Lane
      Alberta Family Histories Society
      712-16th Ave NW,
      Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Malcolm at ACDB-Canada [mailto:malcolm@...]
      Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 5:28 PM
      To: chairman@...
      Subject: Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER #11 - 17 March 2005

      Archive CD Books Canada NEWSLETTER #11 - 17 March 2005
      1 WELCOME
      Census of England - (4 - all also available as parts)
      Australian book - (1)
      6 NEWS & GOSSIP

      1 WELCOME:
      Welcome to the eleventh newsletter from Archive CD Books Canada. This
      newsletter will be published whenever we have enough information to make it
      worth your while reading, but we expect that will mean there will be about
      one a month.

      Remember this Newsletter is published for you so if you think we’re missing
      something important drop me a line to Malcolm@....

      Newsletters work best when they get a good circulation. We’re doing our
      best to let people know about it but you could help us along by mentioning
      it to your genealogy buddies and generally spreading the word. Give them
      the URL

      and they can sign-up directly.

      You can also use this same address to manage you subscription and to access
      the archives.

      A total of 68 new title releases in this newsletter if you count all the
      individual Census CDs!
      New releases from Archive CD Books Canada.
      New Census CDs from the UK.
      New Australian CD
      News Gossip and more.

      To find a book on our web site http://www.archivecdbooks.ca take a note of
      the catalogue number - or use the “copy” function - go to the web site,
      click on the “Search Page” link and enter, or “paste,” the number into the
      “Product Number” box. Hit “Search” and then “More” and you will be in a
      position to reread the description or to place your order.
      There is frequently more information about the books available on the web
      All prices in $Cdn.

      * The Canada Directory 1853/54
      CA0088: $35.00
      Robert W. S. MacKay's second edition of Lovell's commercial guide and
      information handbook to the newly Confederated (1841) Provinces of Lower and
      Upper Canada (known as Canada East - C.E. and Canada West -
      C.W. in this directory.) The information it contains was current to
      November 1853 but the Directory was not published until 1854. Please note
      the Directory ONLY covers the areas which are approximated by today's Quebec
      and Ontario Provinces.
      The Directory itself claims to contain the "Names of the Professional and
      Business men of every description in the Cities, Towns and Villages of
      Canada." Indeed, the listings include villages with only about a hundred
      inhabitants. Each entry is accompanied with a short description of the
      place's location, its distance to the nearest principal cities and in many
      cases the normal stage or steamboat fare to get there. For the larger
      cities the description is enlarged to include some of the history and
      important events while the listing is expanded to include all sorts of
      resident officials and government appointed agents. There are also many
      engraved advertisements for the local businesses. For the Major cities,
      like Quebec, Toronto and Montreal, this can expand the city's listing to
      cover several tens of pages.
      There is also a large section of the book devoted to "Miscellaneous Matters"
      whose scope defies a full description but which contains such useful
      information as: the names of the ministers of ALL of the churches, the
      population of towns, counties and cities taken from the Census of 1850, and
      a directory to ALL the post offices in the Confederation.
      This is a very rare directory, in fact we couldn't even find a copy of this
      edition listed in the holdings of the Library and Archives of Canada. The
      book numbers 691 pages and is packed with useful information from cover to
      cover. We have formatted our copy on CD for text searches using the free
      download pdf interpreter programs like Adobe Reader™.
      (There is a more complete description of this book in the catalogue on our
      web site.)

      * History of the County of Middlesex, Canada - 1889
      CA0114: $35.00
      All superlatives aside, this really is the most detailed and comprehensive
      area history book I have ever come across. At about the turn of the 19th
      century there was a flurry of books, written on commission, to record the
      biographies of some of the wealthier families in a particular area. Indeed
      this is one of them, but the approximately 460 biographies occupy only about
      a third of the book.
      The other two thirds of the book provides so much information on the history
      and make up of the Middlesex County it'll be impossible to do it full credit
      in this short description. Only by reading it will you realize the scale of
      this work.
      Let's start by saying that the author went out of his way to mention the
      names of people living in the area if they had left any sort of record of
      their activities. I mean everything from being a member of a church
      committee to being involved in a court case and more. The vast majority of
      the over 1000 pages of the book carry some of the names of local
      inhabitants, or of outsiders who were in some way associated with Middlesex.
      There are even transcriptions of some of the early parish registers giving
      the records of marriages from about 1833 through about
      1839 (depending on the church.)
      There are brief histories of the formation of all sorts of public bodies,
      from town councils to orchestras, from Masonic lodges to horticultural
      societies. And each record includes the names of all the people involved.
      There are lists of names for everything.
      And yet more than just lists of names. Each township and each city has its
      own paragraph describing how it originated and how it was organized. There
      are copies of early accounts showing the civil income and expenditure. The
      details are just endless.
      Our version of this book on CD, has been processed through our
      state-of-the-art OCR application and is fully searchable using any of the
      free PDF interpreters like Acrobat Reader™. This means that the fund of
      genealogical and historical information it contains can be easily accessed.
      (There is a more complete description of this book in the catalogue on our
      web site.)

      4 COMING SOON:

      * Early Shefford (Eastern Townships) Pioneers Due to a misunderstanding we
      haven’t yet got this book but its arrival has just been delayed, not

      * We haven’t actually set our scanning queue at the moment. We have two
      (possibly three) more Ontario County histories waiting but we have been
      neglecting other parts of the country recently and I have a really nice book
      for Nova Scotia I’m itching to get at. We have also been collecting an
      interesting set of books on early Methodist church history which we feel may
      be well received. For this coming month lets just say that I’ll try and
      surprise you!

      * We have noticed that some of our most popular titles are books which we’ve
      been requested to copy, or that we’ve noticed people are asking for on
      genealogy lists. We can’t guarantee to make copies of everything asked for
      but we’re always ready to listen to suggestions / wants, and will follow up
      where we can. Just drop us a line and give us as much information on the
      book as you can. Remember though, that we can only work with Canadian (or
      nationality neutral) subjects and we’ve had very litle success in obtaining
      reproduction licenses§ on books which are still in copyright (i.e., less
      than 50+ years old.) (§ The authors, or their copyright heirs, are usually
      impossible to

      (All prices in $Cdn.)

      If you do not need the whole county, then these sets offer the opportunity
      for you to buy smaller parts at a more affordable price for the districts in
      which you have interest.
      The census is not necessarily organized by logical geographical districts.
      Please refer to our web site catalogue descriptions to see a list of the
      places included on each CD. Be aware that some places occasionally occur on
      more than one CD. (We have not divided the CDs into geographical areas - we
      have kept strictly to the HO classifications as per the original census

      * MONMOUTHSHIRE 1841 CENSUS - Full County Set
      C1841MON: $59.00
      Also available as Individual CDs 01 thru 07 (see our web site for the
      districts on each part): $16.10 ea.

      C1841STF: $142.10
      Also available as Individual CDs 01 thru 23 (see our web site for the
      districts included): $16.10 ea.
      THIS IS A HUGE 23 CD SET - Not only does the county have a large population,
      but the reason for so many CDs in the set is that we have scanned it in gray
      scale to a very high quality indeed to overcome the problems typically
      associated with the faded 1841 census pages. We can't promise that every
      single page will be legible (invisible ink is impossible to scan) but we can
      promise that the pages will be more readable than on the original films that
      you may have seen in the past!

      C1841WAR $110.70
      Also available as Individual CDs 01 thru 18 (see our web site for the
      districts included): $16.10 ea.

      C1841WIL $80.40
      Also available as Individual CDs 01 thru 13 (see our web site for the
      districts included): $16.10 ea.

      * Education Department's Record of War Service 1914-1917
      AU7018: $31.40
      A wonderful and comprehensive record of hundreds of Victorians involved in
      the Great War 1914-18. Includes biographies and photos of those who served -
      those who were killed and those who returned. See our web site for a
      complete description of the contents of this book.
      This requires Adobe Reader™ to view. The whole text is searchable - names,
      places and any word in the text.

      6 NEWS & GOSSIP:

      If any of you have genealogy related questions of a general nature - or
      something specifically related to Archive CD Books - we'd be glad to publish
      your question in this newsletter to tap into the enormous fund of knowledge
      which I know is out there.

      We are going to be displaying our Books on CD at the Ottawa OGS show,
      “GENE-O-RAMA 2005” on the 8/9th of April. The show is to be held at Ben
      Franklin Place, 101 Centrepointe Drive, Ottawa, see the Family History
      Societies section below for more information. We will have several hundred
      CDs for sale, including all our Canadian products.
      We’ll be pleased to meet with you and answer any of your questions - if we
      can, as well as to listen to any suggestions you might like to offer us.

      We don’t get out of the office very often so we’re looking forward to
      meeting as many of you as possible. Just drop by and say “hello” if you
      like. We’ll probably have a few “show specials” with us to tempt you as

      We are pleased to announce that the RMR is stocking our compilation CD of
      the Regiment’s history, CA0100-s, in their kit shop. If you visit the home
      of this famous regiment in Montreal you will have the opportunity to
      purchase the CD in person in their Kit Shop.

      We are also pleased to announce that the Gift Shop at the Penetanguishene
      Centennial Museum & Archives, 13 Burke St., Penetanguishene, Ontario, is
      stocking copies of our recently released CD of the Pioneer Papers.
      Penetanguishene is, of course, an important town in the County of Simcoe and
      figures largely in this excellent book.

      As well as announcing our new releases in this newsletter we are also
      posting them on the British-Genealogy Forums. I suggest you use the link
      below to go straight to our Canadian page because there are a lot of forums
      on this site and it takes a while to find your way around:
      In addition to posting our new releases you will see that we also announce
      other pieces of news and gossip as they come along. You may find some of
      the other forums of interest if you haven’t visited this site before.

      The word is out that Archive CD Books Ireland are due to hold their grand
      opening later this month. Just setting up an Archive CD Books web site is
      an enormous undertaking so our best wishes are with them for a successful
      launching. We’re looking forward to being able to include some Irish titles
      in our catalogue soon.

      Not strictly a customer but a friend, who is a part time musician, to whom
      we donated a copy of our recently published US/Canadian Irish song book.
      His e-mail comment:
      “Only one thing to say about the CD
      and only one thing to say about the web site
      WOW! ...........” Rod.

      * Ottawa Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society, in partnership with the
      Ottawa Public Library, presents: Gene-O-Rama 2005, April 8-9,
      Ben Franklin Place, 101 Centrepointe Drive, Ottawa, Ontario (plenty of
      Speakers: Bruce Elliott; Sylvie Tremblay; Glenn Wright; Lyall Manson; Betty
      Burrows & Doug Hoddinott; Shaun Wallace for more detailed information, and
      for registration, go to the web site

      * Upcoming Genealogy Workshops / Orientations-Cloverdale & Semiahmoo
      Libraries-Surrey (BC). Jan-April 2005
      - April 9 Military Research
      Saturday, April 9, 2005, 10:30 - 12:30 p.m.
      At the Cloverdale Library, 5642-176A Street, Surrey
      Instructor: Colin Stevens, Charge $10
      Please pre-register by calling 604-576-1384 (local 303 or 304). Payment is
      required upon registration.

      - April 23; Finding your Female Ancestors Saturday, April 23, 2005, 10:30 -
      12:30 p.m.
      At the Cloverdale Library, 5642-176A Street, Surrey
      Instructor: Diane Rogers Charge $10
      Please pre-register by calling 604-576-1384 (local 303 or 304). Payment is
      required upon registration.

      - Ongoing----Cloverdale Library Genealogical Collection Orientations The
      first Saturday of every month, 9:30 - 10:30 am at the Cloverdale
      Library, 5642 - 176A Street, Surrey. Free of charge.
      Preregistration suggested. If you would like more information, call us at
      604-576-1384 (ext. 5) For more information, see the library's website
      or call the library's genealogy department, 604 576 1384

      * The Kelowna & District Genealogy Society invite you and your members to
      attend our 2005 Seminar "Harvest Your Family Tree" to be held in Kelowna,
      B.C., Canada, on September 30, October 1, 2, 2005.  We have a selection of
      noted speakers from Scotland, England and Western Canada; something for
      everyone, whether you are just beginning or are a seasoned researcher. More
      information about early bird registration, seminar schedule and presenters
      is available on the Kelowna & District Genealogy website:
      Kind regards, Betty Maurice, Advertising Committee, 2005 Seminar -

      Don't forget we can help your group to spread the news. Send us an e-mail.

      Archives of this newsletter showing all the previous release announcements
      are available in the newsletter archive which can be reached through,
      All our newly released books are listed on our web site in the New Releases
      and Special Offers page. Go to:
      <http://www.archivecdbooks.ca/new.html> for an instant update on our new

      Archive CD Books Canada Inc.
      Attn.: Malcolm Moody - President