RE: Montreal Area

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17, 2005
      Hi Peter,

      Check microfilm at University of Calgary Library on third floor microfilm area. They have the Montréal Gazette from 1785 forward. Call Number AN5.M6. The newspaper started in 1778. I am sure they have close to complete collection on microfilm but it is not indexed. I used other indexes to find articles in this publication as well as checking by date for events. I was able to determine names of next of kin through this source but finding current addresses was still a chore. I wrote to everyone of that surname in Montreal to find relatives. So that is another source you might try - i.e. Internet directory.

      The online version of the Montréal Gazette - for which you need a paid subscription or which you may use at UofC (not sure if you have to have a library card - I have one as an alumnus but can't remember if I needed it for logon) - only goes back to 1985.

      So looks like simian search as one of my employees used to call it - rather than Internet search. I will check my other sources to see if I can find the obits section anywhere. I know some were extracted for "Storied People of Quebec" but not sure if your subject would be in that publication. One person I traced served in both World Wars and received medals in each. Served in WWII with his son. Their stories hit the newspapers big time during the war but were not included in the "Storied People of Quebec".

      My relatives in Montreal are either overseas or very busy right now so they have not been able to check for you locally so far. I will see what else I can dig up to help you in the meantime.

      à bientôt,

      Local genealogy book sales, professional research & writing: http://www.knowmap.com/age/
      Scrapbooking & preservation techniques
      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564