A SCANNING QUESTION

  • ANN WILLIAMS
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6 8:23 AM
      the original sender

      I had previously scanned a newspaper article to a contact of mine and
      has asked me this:

      "Would you mind rescanning the article to at least 300 dpi (I know you
      will have to do at least two parts but as long as the two parts are
      parallel then I can match up the two parts to make one large image, then
      send it off to get printed out in more or less the original size."

      I have 3 questions: (1) would it work if I enlarged the newspaper
      article to cover two pages and scanned it through the Xerox photocopier
      scanner I use (no idea of its specifications), or (2) is there anyone
      out there who can suggest a professional place or would be able to do it
      with their scanning equipment, or (3) should I forgot about technology
      and simply mail him a photocopy?

      Thanks for any suggestions,
      Ann Williams

    • The Gauthiers
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6 9:45 AM
        the original sender

        Ann;

        Rene and I have both been using the technique of "stitching" two scanned
        images together.
        However, Rene has the better software for it. It works quite well for
        originals that won't fit
        on your scanner.

        However; I don't know why your friend thinks that a higher dpi translates
        into two scans.
        The scanning resolution is not linked to size of the original. It is a
        function of the scanner.
        If the article fit on your scanner before, you just need to select a higher
        "dpi" resolution in the software.

        Regards;
        Gary

        > Please note that your reply will now only go to
        > the original sender
        >

        > I had previously scanned a newspaper article to a contact of mine and
        > has asked me this:
        >
        > "Would you mind rescanning the article to at least 300 dpi (I know you
        > will have to do at least two parts but as long as the two parts are
        > parallel then I can match up the two parts to make one large image, then
        > send it off to get printed out in more or less the original size."
        >
        > I have 3 questions: (1) would it work if I enlarged the newspaper
        > article to cover two pages and scanned it through the Xerox photocopier
        > scanner I use (no idea of its specifications), or (2) is there anyone
        > out there who can suggest a professional place or would be able to do it
        > with their scanning equipment, or (3) should I forgot about technology
        > and simply mail him a photocopy?
        >
        > Thanks for any suggestions,
        > Ann Williams
        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        >
        > http://www.family-roots.ca

      • Gordon Lane
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6 10:18 AM
          the original sender

          The dpi affects the print quality, for instance a commercial printer
          requires all photos scanned at 300 dpi which equates to 150 lines per inch
          which is magazine quality printing.

          Regards

          Gordon Lane
          Chairman
          Alberta Family Histories Society
          712-16th Ave NW,
          Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

          chairman@...
          www.afhs.ab.ca
          (403)214-1447

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6 5:22 PM
            the original sender

            Hi Ann,

            In your scanning software under settings, look for the "resolution" or
            "image quality". It may be set to the lowest available but as far as I know
            most scanners in the last several years have at least 360 dpi as the lowest.
            However, you should be able to change the settings to a higher one if
            needed. Then if you have image editing software, you can usually have
            another chance to crop and then save the remaining image at a higher
            resolution.

            When you look at the image after scanning can you read it? Maybe it is just
            too small. If so, perhaps you can change the image size in either or both
            your scanning software settings or your image editing software.

            a bientot,

            http://www.knowmap.com/age/
            Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564
            Is your New Year's resolution to scrapbook more? Watch for workshops in
            2005!