FW: 1861 census now available on 1837online.com

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2005
      the original sender

      For your information

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Chairman
      Alberta Family Histories Society
      712-16th Ave NW,
      Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

      chairman@...
      www.afhs.ab.ca
      (403)214-1447

      -----Original Message-----
      From: newsletter@... [mailto:newsletter@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 3:23 PM
      To: gordonplane@...
      Subject: 1861 census now available on 1837online.com

      As any genealogist knows, among the primary building blocks of family
      history research are census returns and birth, marriage and death indexes.
      Accordingly, we are pleased to announce that a full transcription and
      original images of the 1861 census are now available online at
      www.1837online.com.

      The way we have scanned, transcribed and indexed the 1861 census will
      provide you with new and advanced searching techniques. One of the
      highlights is that when you search for an individual, you will also be able
      to search simultaneously for another person who lived in the same household,
      simply by entering their name into the search criteria. This should help you
      locate your ancestors more quickly and easily than in any other census
      online.

      The census information for London, Kent, Middlesex and Surrey is the first
      to be made available and you can start searching these records now. Over the
      coming few months, we will launch further data, county by county, and we
      will notify you each time a new set is ready.

      The next counties will be:

      Essex
      Lancashire
      Yorkshire
      Worcestershire

      To help you start using the census, you can also read a new article on our
      website titled 'Understanding the Census'. The article has been written by
      Dr. Nick Barratt, the resident genealogist on the BBC's 'Who Do You Think
      You Are?' TV programme.